Hi everyone

My first post apart from the 'Welcome' one. I've just bought a used Revox A700 which is still being brought up to spec with re-lapped heads and various other maintenance things by UK Revox agent Thear Technology. I know there are some experienced recording engineers on this forum so am hoping one or two will kindly tape the trouble to respond.

My question relates to tape. My understanding is that there are now only 2 manufacturers of tape worth considering. ATR Magnetics and RMG. I believe the Revox machines, as opposed to Studer, are unable to handle 'high saturation tape so I had shortlisted RMG SM911 and possibly ATR 'Master Tape' both in 26.5cm NAB reels. I had decided on the RMG because lots of people seem to have used it, the price is reasonable and it's readily available but went to the Hi Fi show at Whittlebury last weekend where I was told by a recording engineer that after their factory move (from Holland to France?), RMG's quality had dramatically deteriorated and don't buy it!

This was the only negative comment I have heard or seen as generally the reviews on the SM911 are positive so I could rally appreciate it if someone could confirm or otherwise. Ideally someone who has bought recently with more likelihood of it being made at the new site.

many thanks
Charles