+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi folks (from London)

Default Hi folks (from London)

Hi folks,

Just joined and though I would drop by and say Hi!

Ended up here because of the rather excellent dicsussions re Stan Beresford's DACs - which I picked up from him yesterday! Been posting on a couple of AV sites for a while, both US and UK, and we'll see if I get any time to do more than lurk here.

I'm Neil.

Hi Peter

Welcome to AOS.

What kind of set up do you have, and what music do you like to listen to?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

My setup(s) is/are in flux. A couple of years ago I bought a 5 speaker set of Focal Chorus speakers for the AV install and fell in love So, recently I have got myself a pair of Focal 826W ltd editions in red and a Rotel 1572 on the way to drive them. For now, a pair of Audiolab 8000M (Chinese made) drive them supplied by an SB3 now via a Caiman DAC. It's all a bit up in the air both logically and physically at the moment, so a more logical layout later.

Musically I have a very eclectic taste, from 80s pop and rock (growing up influences) through to lots of international music - African, Latin, Indian etc. which was all the fault of Monkey Pilot and the Whirl-y-Gig club (if you know it, you will know what I mean). Plenty of dub, d'n'b, breakbeat etc. I have been trying to learn to appreciate more classical music as I know I like a wide variety there too, but my patience hasn't quite developed to the point of listening long enough yet to "get it". I am pretty much into anything *except* free-form Jazz styles and anything my Morrisey

Hi Peter, it was nice meeting you and having the long chat. Hopefully we can do it again when JJ finally gets round to tell us more about the special AoS food & drink get together he is negotiating with a restaurant.

We have a few pro photographers here as well, and there is even a topic area for that art form. I recommend that you dive in there from time to time and exhibit a couple of your own handy work.

Stan

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Peter, and welcome. Those are some pretty speakers - not sure the red would fit in in my listening room (would in the dining room though... hmmmm) - look forward to some piccies once you're all setup.

My time here started after getting the Caiman - give it a few weeks (200 hours playing time is what Stan recommends) and it will really amaze you what it can do for so little money.

look forward to chatting with you, have fun!

EDIT: Here's a picture of the Focals to save everyone else Googling for them:

Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Thanks! And yes, that's them but they are slightly darker in tone in real life - the red above is what I would call "IKEA Red" and they don't quite match Whereas the Pro-ject Debut in red is a match to the IKEA furniture. Now to find some heavy, "natural" colour curtains with maybe a few red dots or stripes in them...

I'm Steve.

Nice speakers!!! Hi Peter, enjoy yourself here.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Thanks. Apart from room acoustics and speaker placement, I am having a great time ;-)

+ Reply to Thread