+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 200 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Geoff.

Been downloading preparatory MS updates and W10 for half the day. I thought I was more or less at the install stage, but it's just started downloading more stuff!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

depends on how fast the BB is performing across the board, as after a while of big files the bandwidth can narrow. youve started so It'll finish I guess
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I put W10 on 4 machines in the last 24 hours, all perfect, but I always do a 'clean' install, which is without a doubt the way to do it. You can also turn off all the privacy features some folk seem to be worried about.

I still struggle to understand why people bloat out the O\S with third party so called A\V software, you really don't need it with a properly functioning W10 install. I have not had a software or hardware issue with my personal computer's for many, many years . . . what do you guys do on your machines?

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Geoff.

Done innit!

Windows 10 seems to be working OK. It even retained all my third party software and files (I think). Altogether, with various preparatory downloads and W10 stuff, which played tricks on me (had to be a bit canny here and there), it took around 12 hours including the installation, which was a bloody sight slower than a fresh install. The Windows 7 reinstall I did yesterday on another PC took about an hour.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

St least most of bugs should be out of it now
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

We shall see. I restarted it and a command prompt box came up briefly and disappeared before I could see what that was about. Restarted again a couple of times and it booted normally.

I'm Geoff.

Thought I'd have a look on drive C to check what the W10 upgrade might have left behind.

Sure enough, 18.7gb of 'windows.old' folder. No mention of that being retained in the blurb they give you on W10. On PCs with smaller hard drives that amount of space could have been critical. No doubt the fact that there'd not be enough overall drive space would have been flagged prior to trying to upgrade, but I wonder how many 'upgradees' still have this file hogging space on their computers? I'll delete it once I'm sure W10 is stable and working totally to my satisfaction.

I'm Grant.

Aye, its so you can roll back.. You,ll need to select admin privilages to delete it.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Had W10 laptop for a month now and no issues although I don't attempt anything complex. Big tower case, external speakers, keyboard etc all now banished to storage which gets rid of a lot of clutter. The old PC was so noisy, didn't realise how bad it was until I got rid. This Lenovo thing is completely silent, very quick to boot up, it seems pretty good value for £140 delivered.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

[QUOTE=walpurgis;776820]Thought I'd have a look on drive C to check what the W10 upgrade might have left behind.

Sure enough, 18.7gb of 'windows.old' folder. No mention of that being retained in the blurb they give you on W10. On PCs with smaller hard drives that amount of space could have been critical. No doubt the fact that there'd not be enough overall drive space would have been flagged prior to trying to upgrade, but I wonder how many 'upgradees' still have this file hogging space on their computers? I'll delete it once I'm sure W10 is stable and working totally to my satisfaction.[/QUOTE

Surely a lot of that 18.7GB is your own personal files, Documents etc.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread