+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 200 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    That seems strange, USB normally works without extra drivers. Something strange. All stuff worked with the other W7 Disc? That was W7 Ultimate?

If everything works in Linux, that proves the hardware.
    wifi didnt and not sure if the ethernet did.. usb didnt either so maybe there was drivers stashed or something in bio area that went phut.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

There are quite a lot of drivers in Win 7, I've found it generally better than XP in that respect. Yes, Linux often works well finding drivers for most things.

My main desktop runs XP (keep this quiet!) and has USB 3.0 sockets on it. I have not tried to see if Linux recognises the USB 3.0 hardware, but I expect it will.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Ive no idea. mine has a usb 3 but think they all run usb 2. might be tweakable though if you know what your doing

minty seems to be running well at moment. Might try the usb stick tomorrow and see if it will boot with it with the mint 18
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Well lappy is at least working thanks to linux and assistance here. windows wont work, so god knows why.. Probably microsofts post brexit interference

On the win 10 note. My brother went away for a few days holiday. Came back and put the laptop on to download his pics and found win 10 had installed itself in their absence... Hows that for big brother... Switched the pc on and installed it, then off again as a pressie.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Good to hear that it's working.

Perhaps we should have a poll to see how many are moving away from Microsoft.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Good to hear that it's working.

Perhaps we should have a poll to see how many are moving away from Microsoft.
    Yes, I,m pretty sure it will have gone up leaps and bounds ... Macs will have gone up, although they are still too dear for most. Folk with apple gear really need a windows pc as there is no linux fix sadly. Something i think will break windows a fair bit , along with some other heavily used software like kindle.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

I don't use a smart phone, but I believe that most are Android powered, and that is based on Linux. I bet many people don't realise this.

I was given a Mac desktop some years ago, I never even turned it on, because I knew that it was going to cost me £££ for any software I needed, and I'm a mean old b*****d.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Most is..think android has 58% of market although that takes in a number of companies.. Apples ios has 38% i think which for expensive single company is impressive.
    50% of people in uk have a tablet...mostly again android and thats again cost rearing its head...lots of cheap tabs out there. May not be very good but they do a job and like the whole market are pretty much all throw away when they go wrong anyway again due to cost.
    Ive 2 tablets..1 of each. 2 iphones too plus 2 androids... None new though. Several lappies but again all old..newest is 4/5 years old now i guess.,The others much older and not much use for anything bar browsing..the one i bought to convert to wim 7 ultimate is really for using itues and ripping musuc to my rpi. The others are just there lol
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Way hey! Finally go this damn notebook thing to connect wirelessly to the internet! Lent it to a work colleague who tried it at home and pronounced it working fine so I then at least knew it wasn't a fault.

Took an hour on the 'phone with Virgin (who truth be told were actually very good, even calling me back as promised). Turns out the password was not valid for some reason and had to be changed.

The downside is I am now on Windows 10 like it or not, but the tracking my every move aside, it seems to be okay.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Great that it's working, if it was "upgraded" from Windows 7 to Windows 10, perhaps you can roll it back.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread