+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 200 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Grant.

Never used a mac, but of all the windows systems Ive had I have never had to reinstall. I dont doubt Macs are very good once you get used to them but if used correctly and with some decent security you shouldnt pick up much in way of virus's unless you go to some nasty places. Mind you after saying that, I dont drift too far off my beaten path very often, so I may just be lucky
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Never used a mac, but of all the windows systems Ive had I have never had to reinstall. I dont doubt Macs are very good once you get used to them but if used correctly and with some decent security you shouldnt pick up much in way of virus's unless you go to some nasty places. Mind you after saying that, I dont drift too far off my beaten path very often, so I may just be lucky
    Grant I think you have been very lucky not to have needed a reinstall of the operating system. However I bet you also have more than one anti virus software to try and protect you

The transition to Apple OSX is very straightforward and once you get a 'handle' on the operating system, which takes just a couple of days, it is a breeze and a joy to use and you will wonder how you ever did without it..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Location: Walsall, W Midlands, (an area of the country that doesn't seem to exist) England.

I'm Loz.

I have to admit, Windows can be a bit of a PITA !!! My son has a iMac and its absolutely great - never a problem. I have a Linux computer aswell as a Windows PC and, to be fair, the Linux machine is very good - boots up real quick, never really has any issues etc but, I wish I understood how to operate it better - its not quite so user friendly as Windows (probably due to the fact that I'm not so familiar with it after 25 years of using Windows)
    It isn't necessarily about doing things right, its also about doing the right thing !!!!!

ITS A LONG WAY TO THE TOP........................ WHEN YA WANNA ROCK N ROLL !!!

Pioneer SA-9800, SG-9800, TX-9800, P-D70, PD-7500, TX-D1000, PL-12D, HPM-60, REL Quake.

Mission Cyrus II + PSX Transformer. Marantz CD-52 MkII Sp Edtn. Sony Mini-Disc MDS-JE530. Thorens TD-166MkII.
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2. Linn Index II + Ku-Stone Stands. REL Strata. Linn Interconnects throughout and Chord Flat Strand speaker cable.

Raspberry Pi / AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre DAC ES9023 TCXO Streamer.

I'm Grant.

I ve had a lifetime licence with malwarebytes for years as I have with winpatrol. they both do excellent work.I also have avast free.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

My PC has regular catastrophic system breakdowns and malware infections ('cos I like buggering about with it ). I reinstall W7 every few months anyway. No big deal.

Installed ToolWiz Cares tonight on both PCs. It's an example of the many 'one click' do it all maintenance utilities. I prefer it to the popular Glary Utilities, as it works well and doesn't try to keep selling you upgraded versions.

But that's not the reason I've installed it. It features 'Time Freeze', which locks the PC in the present configuration, so no bugs can alter anything! The PC is rendered completely safe from infection. It's a bit like a 'white list' in effect I suppose. You do have to occasionally turn it off for some functions, such as updates.

I have tried it before and found it effective and I experienced no problems. Oh and it's free.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Location: Walsall, W Midlands, (an area of the country that doesn't seem to exist) England.

I'm Loz.

I ve had a lifetime licence with malwarebytes for years as I have with winpatrol. they both do excellent work.I also have avast free.
    Yes, I've used all except Winpatrol but, I have to say that Avast free tends to slow things up on boot up !!! Boot up stagnates for about 3 mins or so and then its OK; I know its Avast free because it never did it till I installed that. I also use Spybot Search & Destroy for malware etc (its free aswell) and its very good.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis
    Installed ToolWiz Cares tonight on both PCs. It's an example of the many 'one click' do it all maintenance utilities. I prefer it to the popular Glary Utilities, as it works well and doesn't try to keep selling you upgraded versions.

But that's not the reason I've installed it. It features 'Time Freeze', which locks the PC in the present configuration, so no bugs can alter anything! The PC is rendered completely safe from infection. It's a bit like a 'white list' in effect I suppose. You do have to occasionally turn it off for some functions, such as updates.

I have tried it before and found it effective and I experienced no problems. Oh and it's free.
    I like the sound of that !!!
    It isn't necessarily about doing things right, its also about doing the right thing !!!!!

Pioneer SA-9800, SG-9800, TX-9800, P-D70, PD-7500, TX-D1000, PL-12D, HPM-60, REL Quake.

Mission Cyrus II + PSX Transformer. Marantz CD-52 MkII Sp Edtn. Sony Mini-Disc MDS-JE530. Thorens TD-166MkII.
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2. Linn Index II + Ku-Stone Stands. REL Strata. Linn Interconnects throughout and Chord Flat Strand speaker cable.

I'm Geoff.

I use Malwarebytes if I get a problem. Winpatrol is always on my PCs. As for A/V etc., I use this: https://www.comodo.com/home/internet...t-security.php

It's extremely comprehensive and works very well.

The only other free security suite that comes close that I've found is Baidu Antivirus 2015 which is also very comprehensive. Beautiful product to use, as is their browser.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Us-&-Them View Post
    I also use Spybot Search & Destroy for malware etc (its free aswell) and its very good.
    Used that many times. It misses stuff.

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Used that many times. It misses stuff.
    I agree, thats why I've got Avast and Malwarebytes running at the same time on the same PC aswell

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    My PC has regular catastrophic system breakdowns and malware infections ('cos I like buggering about with it ). I reinstall W7 every few months anyway. No big deal.

Geoff if you went to an Apple OSX device, however cheap, you won't ever need to 'bugger' about with it... they just work properly all of the time

I also used to 'bugger' about with Windows based machines, as I knew I could... and I wondered if I would ever get along with OSX as it meant I probably couldn't 'bugger' about with it in the same way.... but I can assure you that I stopped doing this once I had OSX and I have never missed 'buggering' about with it because it just works 100% all of the time...

I am not here to convert anyone but I am absolutely totally sure that if anyone tried Apple/OSX they won't EVER go back to a Windows based machine again, it really is that good...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 200 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast