+ Reply to Thread
Page 156 of 200 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Alex.

Bought this 480GB SSD yesterday, it should arrive Sunday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Spendorman

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Hi Edward

Thank you for your trouble, much appreciated.

If all those steps are needed in Mint 19 to get Wine working, my view is that it's not right yet. Just a few clicks in 18.3 and Wine works.

However, I still have 19 on a drive and I will probably try your instructions.

I can swap drives so easily now with the bay I linked in post 1545, great fun!

I also use Irfanview.
    As mentioned WineHQ have yet to push it out to the various public repositories. Once they do it will only be a few clicks. The process then will essentially be a batch process that involves all the commands I laid out. Either way you get it. The commands are not a hack, it is what anyway goes on in the background.

Remember also that the repositories will often lag the versions actually available. Going to the source will get you the latest and greatest. If you want to live on the edge install the develop version instead of the stable version.

I did all my testing in Hyper-V so no messing around with discs. As you say 'great fun'.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

Nice one Ed. Wine always beat me when I used Linux. Back to my old foe windows now. Lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Bought a second one of these, the idea is to have two in the tower, a 2.5" drive in each, so that I can switch between operating systems by using the on/ off buttons on the drive bays.

I know I could dual boot on a single drive, but I don't like that for various reasons.

bay by A60man, on Flickr
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Can someone please help?

I am running XP (for various reasons) with an SSD, either a Samsung 860 Evo 500GB or a Kingston SA400S37 480GB. I gather XP does not support trim. The Samsung Magician software with Trim (later versions), don't run on XP. The versions that do, don’t seem to support the 860 Evo.
    Is there any Trim software that can run on XP suitable for my SSD's?
    Spendorman

I'm David.

Have a look here to optimise your system for XP and a SSD. Maybe have a look at O&O defrag to see if that still supports XP.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
    Have a look here to optimise your system for XP and a SSD. Maybe have a look at O&O defrag to see if that still supports XP.
    Thank you, I had already disabled "Optimize hard disk when idle" and "Drefagmentation". The link to the German? site, I can't read German, looks good. I found the download that does a few things to the registry, and have implemented them. I looked at O&O defrag and thought that this is not wanted as it's just a defrag program. I may be wrong in this.

Thanks for your help.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Linux Mint 19.1 is out.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Just trying it out, had trouble with 19 and 19.1 Beta
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Talktalk email and more down. My email not working since about 1:00 PM today.

https://downdetector.co.uk/problems/talktalk
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

No Ad-Blockers in Chrome? Could be a problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46988319
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread