Page 147 of 200 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Grant.

computer kept switching the shares back off.. crazy, just crazy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Hah, you responded to my message I aimed to Grant. No Matter.

Not had a Lenova laptop but (having now looked that model up) you need to press F2 rapidly as it boots up. But possibly the Function (fn) key and F2 at same time. But you need to be quick as Lenova don't seem to have provided much leeway. Alternatively there seems to be a button on the left hand side (Novo button?) of the laptop. Ether way you need to get to the BIOS. From there set the boot sequence to have USB Bus to take priority.

You are correct, F2 + Fn gets me in to the 'BIOS', but I can seem to change the boot priority to USB. Give me old fashioned BIOS!!
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Managed to boot to USB by changing to Legacy Boot
    Spendorman

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Managed to boot to USB by changing to Legacy Boot

with restoring the desktop.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Alex.

Thanks

I've got to Advanced options, which are System Restore, Start-up-Repair, Go back to the previous version, Command Prompt, and System Recovery Image.

Unfortunately, all but Command Prompt don't work, and I'm not very good at using Command Prompt.

Blooming new type computers and Windows 10.
    Spendorman

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Thanks

I've got to Advanced options, which are System Restore, Start-up-Repair, Go back to the previous version, Command Prompt, and System Recovery Image.

Unfortunately, all but Command Prompt don't work, and I'm not very good at using Command Prompt.

Blooming new type computers and Windows 10.
    Hmm. Does not sound good. Something obviously hosed. Alex, from what I recall you said the machine is not booting up. If that is so then perhaps you need to rebuild the master boot record (MBR). Have a look at this link for the steps that are required.

But to be honest if I was you and my friend was ok I would simply do a complete new install. This will have the benefit of a much faster response from the machine. Of course all programs and data will need to be installed again. You said there was not much user data but still would be worthwhile getting this copied over to external media (for instance bookmarks, favs, contacts etc). As to programs hopefully your friend knows what programs he has and also has relevant installation files and serial numbers. And only install programs that are actually required. I'm always amazed how much stuff we install and then never use - or used in the distant past.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Alex.

I give up, for tonight, anyway.

Got the machine to boot to a Linux Mint USB stick, works perfectly on that.

The neighbour might be happy with that installed instead of W10.

He already has a very old desktop machine. which I installed Mint on about four years ago, that has worked faultlessly.
    Spendorman

I'm Edward.

Yeah Mint is lovely - easy to use, fast, slick etc. Always recommended if one wants a machine for basic stuff like internet, word processing, music, vids, Skype etc. But I've veered away from Mint (or other Linux distros) as I'm heavily into files based audio over the LAN and WAN and find Windows more flexible.

I'm Alex.

Hmm. Does not sound good. Something obviously hosed. Alex, from what I recall you said the machine is not booting up. If that is so then perhaps you need to rebuild the master boot record (MBR). Have a look at this link for the steps that are required.

But to be honest if I was you and my friend was ok I would simply do a complete new install. This will have the benefit of a much faster response from the machine. Of course all programs and data will need to be installed again. You said there was not much user data but still would be worthwhile getting this copied over to external media (for instance bookmarks, favs, contacts etc). As to programs hopefully your friend knows what programs he has and also has relevant installation files and serial numbers. And only install programs that are actually required. I'm always amazed how much stuff we install and then never use - or used in the distant past.
    Thank you. The machine seems to be booting but failing to load all of the desktop, a few of the icons are there, but they don't work, and an error message that says it can't load the desktop.

Running Linux from the stick, I can see in to the windows installation, there are very few personal documents etc., I could easily copy them over to an external drive.

The Fix MBR procedure for W10 is similar to doing the same thing in XP, so I'm familiar with that.

Need a cuppa now!
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Yeah Mint is lovely - easy to use, fast, slick etc. Always recommended if one wants a machine for basic stuff like internet, word processing, music, vids, Skype etc. But I've veered away from Mint (or other Linux distros) as I'm heavily into files based audio over the LAN and WAN and find Windows more flexible.
    Agreed!

There is someone that used to post on this forum that ran Windows, not being very computer literate, he had trouble all the time. A few years ago I sent him a Linux CD? DVD? and gave him a bit of help over the phone to install it, he's had virtually zero problems, very happy with it.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread