+ Reply to Thread
Page 100 of 200 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Geoff.

My PC has occasionally not wanted to boot properly, going as far as the 'starting windows' screen and not going further. The central moving windows icon not appearing. Then when restarting it tells me to use startup repair, which I have in the past, to no avail. Anyway, I wondered if a dead motherboard battery could be the cause, so I just changed it, told bios to use default settings and save. Then every time I turned the PC on I got a bios page telling me the computer case had been opened. After some hunting about I found how to turn that off and save settings again. Then the browser kept giving messages saying page security certs were out of date. I finally twigged and noticed the time and date saved by windows was wrong. Reset that and so far all is good again. Hope it always boots properly now. All fun and games!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

He he, before reading to the end of your post, I was wondering about the the date / time, I've been caught on that before.

Great that it's all OK now though.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    He he, before reading to the end of your post, I was wondering about the the date / time, I've been caught on that before.

Great that it's all OK now though.
    Yes. It's not the first time here.

Do you think the motherboard battery could have been influencing my startups?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

I would have thought unlikely if you were getting as far as the Windows logo, but I'm no expert. Was caught out recently when a friend's son's newish laptop would not boot from USB. Discovered that there is something called safe boot that had to be turned off before booting to USB can work.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

You live and learn as they say.

I'm Geoff.

Well it's firing up just fine today and running with no gltches. Seems a little quieter too. Probably 'cos I blew all the dust and fluff out of the heat sink on the processor. Fingers crossed it stays good.

I'm Grant.

Had one that used to stall befor the windows logo and it was the type of hdd externally attached.. it was trying to boot from it as usb had been pushed forward. Only did it with this hdd, not others. Fixed it by reordering the boot..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I'm still wondering if it was the battery change or resetting bios to default that did the trick. Could be both I guess.

I'm Grant.

Down battery usuually just affects the clock initially in my experience. Trouble is if its only used on and off the thing keeps happening. More likely the bios reset, but that may have been affecting the bios
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

+ Reply to Thread