+ Reply to Thread
Page 155 of 200 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Grant.

great Tim. Cheers... he can get me that for xmas.. ive got a pair of 1/2 tb hybrids i can put in initially if need be til i can pick up 2 new larger ones..
    Last edited by struth; 16-11-2018 at 13:09.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

My solid state drive (SSD) arrived, put it in my near 10 year old HP DC5800, (4GB RAM, E8600 Core 2 Duo), installed Linux Mint 18.3 Mate, boots in under 10 seconds. Runs nicely.
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Pretty quick that. Good idea to pop one in
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Now I just need to speed myself up!
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Bought one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Ba...D/292772310253

The idea is to be able to easily swap out 2.5" drives with different operating systems on. Not sure if it will work.

Price went down just after I bought it!
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

not going to lose much if it doesnt work
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Correct, there are a few others designs available at just over £10.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Update of the 2.3" /3.5" SSD /HD bay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Ba...D/292772310253

Received this afternoon, tried with 2.5" hard drives and 2.5" SSD, also with 3.5" hard drives, all work fine.

Only other comments are that when a 3.5" drive is inserted, it sticks a fair way out of the bay, with 2.5" drives, the bay swallow most of the drive, leaving just enough sticking out to make extraction easy.

Good item, does the job.

Cloning the C drive at this moment.
    Spendorman

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Hi Edward, I've been on the Mint Forum, and it appears that quite a few people have had various problems with Mint 19. I went back to 18.3. Still be interested to see what you find.

Alex
    Alex

So I managed to get to this. Apologies for the delay.

Anyway I got wine 3.xx to work just fine under Linux Mint 19.

Like you I see that various people are having issues. WineHQ have yet to upload a fully compiled version to the various software stores so, for now, you need to install via Terminal.

The main issues are to point to the correct repository and run the correct commands. WineHQ gives all the steps required here. You need to scroll down to Mint 19x

But just to make it super easy for you pasted below are the commands you need. Just open a terminal window (ctrl-alt T) and copy each line separately, paste it into Terminal and press enter.

Here are the commands:
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
    sudo apt-key add Release.key
    sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
    sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable
    winecfg

So 8 copy/paste/enter steps in all.

Once you run winecfg it will prompt you to install wine-mono and wine-gecko. Wine-gecko may be asked twice - just go ahead. Then change any settings you want. In particular under Applications / Windows Version you may wish to choose Windows 10, but up to you. Also under Desktop Integration you may wish to have things like Pictures point to your Linux Pictures folder rather than the virtual folders Wine has created.

Test Wine with a windows app - I used irfanview as a test and it worked fine.

After that you may wish to consider installing things like playonlinux and winetricks. All in the app store.

Good luck - please let me know how you get on.

Edward

PS: highly suggest you look carefully at the result of each step for any error messages. Usually from the error message you can work out what to change. Error messages, if any, will come mainly from the update and install commands.

Last edited by Edward; 30-11-2018 at 21:52. Reason: additional thought
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Alex.

Hi Edward

Thank you for your trouble, much appreciated.

If all those steps are needed in Mint 19 to get Wine working, my view is that it's not right yet. Just a few clicks in 18.3 and Wine works.

However, I still have 19 on a drive and I will probably try your instructions.

I can swap drives so easily now with the bay I linked in post 1545, great fun!

I also use Irfanview.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread