+ Reply to Thread
Page 179 of 200 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I had a message pop up to tell me one USB device had developed a fault and recommended I click on the message to repair. The trouble is the USB that had developed a fault was the mouse, so I couldn't click on anything!

Stopped the computer 'dead' at the on/off switch, restarted and everything, including the mouse, is now up and running as normal.
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That'll teach me. I ran some old Windows 7 maintenance apps and a few functions in Windows 10 stopped working. Did a reset from Microsoft (not system restore) and all seems OK now, but all documents and images are lost. Fortunately nothing critical and I have stuff saved up to about eight months ago. Been at it for hours and still have software to locate and install, plus all my regular websites. Won't do that again!
    I'm still cloning my C drive every week, in case anything goes wrong.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I had a message pop up to tell me one USB device had developed a fault and recommended I click on the message to repair. The trouble is the USB that had developed a fault was the mouse, so I couldn't click on anything!

Stopped the computer 'dead' at the on/off switch, restarted and everything, including the mouse, is now up and running as normal.
    I have had that in the past. Only very rarely though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I'm still cloning my C drive every week, in case anything goes wrong.
    I don't keep enough files on the PC to worry too much. I suppose I should bung a restore point in though. What I have now is effectively a new install.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

I don't keep enough files on the PC to worry too much. I suppose I should bung a restore point in though. What I have now is effectively a new install.
    I hardly ever got system restore to work, usually gave a message like "System Restore could not be completed" that's why I started doing the clone business.
    Last edited by spendorman; 02-12-2020 at 11:12.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Well I set up a Windows 10 'system restore point' this time. Hopefully, I won't need it . I'm wondering if the issues could have been caused by firmware embedded in the SSD to protect it (if such a thing exists?).

I'm Alex.

Well I set up a Windows 10 'system restore point' this time. Hopefully, I won't need it . I'm wondering if the issues could have been caused by firmware embedded in the SSD to protect it (if such a thing exists?).
    There is firmware in the SSD, I am pretty sure I've updated mine at some time (Samsung SSD)
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    There is firmware in the SSD, I am pretty sure I've updated mine at some time (Samsung SSD)
    I did wonder, as the third party maintenance software I'd used had worked without problems on HDD equipped W10 PC's. I'll bet that was it.

I'm Geoff.

Windows Defender flagged a warning that it was not functioning this morning on my W10 PC. I downloaded AVG Free to tide me over just for now, but I'm wondering if the Defender issue might be due to a Windows update buggering things up (again). Maybe a fix will come along.

I'm Alex.

Windows Defender flagged a warning that it was not functioning this morning on my W10 PC. I downloaded AVG Free to tide me over just for now, but I'm wondering if the Defender issue might be due to a Windows update buggering things up (again). Maybe a fix will come along.
    I got fed up with AVG and Avast pop ups, went to Bitdefender.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread