+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 196 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Geoff.

Default Computer Disaster Corner

Well I haven't had one. A disaster that is. Just for a change .

My PC cock ups are famous and have featured here before. I tend to tinker and experiment too much.

Anyway, the PC seemed to be a bit slow lately and noisy with the fans whirring away. There were a few little bugs that my antispyware and antivirus hadn't cleared, so I did my periodic reinstall of Windows 7 and took the lid off the PC case and used an air duster and brush to clean it out. There didn't look as though there was a huge amount of dust and fluff, but what a difference! It's running virtually silently now and fires up very quickly. Nice.

I've got a bit more software to add, but all seems fine so far. I'm bound to bugger it up sooner or later though. Still, live and learn.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Anto.

My son bollocks me for taking my pc out into the workshop and firing the air line through it
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Geoff.

It has to be done though, especially in my place. The dog's fur seems to get everywhere and the house is dusty anyway .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Anto.

Oh yes . I agree .
    3 dogs here and the hairs always blowing around the floor , and straight into all the bloody fans !!
    Dust too.
    Mind you ,you can imagine what a farmers house is like

At least I remember to put my finger against the fan before I give it a good slug on air through it
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Geoff.

Been trying some anti spyware solutions. I had 10bit Malware Fighter on there briefly. No good, despite its popularity. It had something called IMF.exe running in the background using loads of processor capacity, so it was soon uninstalled. Malwarebytes is always dependable, but does slow PCs down a bit. As does the latest incarnation of Spybot. I always install One Click Spyware Expert anyway, regardless of what else I may use. It's an old utility, but free and works on all Windows installations and it digs deep, finding all sorts of bugs. Not real time though, manual scans. I'm just messing about really, my security suite from Comodo covers every need anyway.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Been trying some anti spyware solutions. I had 10bit Malware Fighter on there briefly. No good, despite its popularity. It had something called IMF.exe running in the background using loads of processor capacity, so it was soon uninstalled. Malwarebytes is always dependable, but does slow PCs down a bit. As does the latest incarnation of Spybot. I always install One Click Spyware Expert anyway, regardless of what else I may use. It's an old utility, but free and works on all Windows installations and it digs deep, finding all sorts of bugs. Not real time though, manual scans. I'm just messing about really, my security suite from Comodo covers every need anyway.
    Geoff, anti virus software unfortunately can be memory and CPU hungry, when I had a PC I found Kaspersky to be better that most, but do not know what it is like now. With respect to a computer fans spinning up and getting hot apart from heavy processes such as Video, music and high CPU usage then it can be caused with age due to the thermal heat sink paste between CPU and/or GPU processors getting old and hard stopping proper heat transfer. If a computer is used everyday for several hours in my experience the paste starts to harden at around 4-5 years.

Simple solution if you can get to then inside is to take the heat sink(s) off, usually held down with 4 bolts to motherboard and then clean the old of the CPU/GPU with kitchen roll and isopropyl alcohol and do same to the heat sink. Then get small tube of new thermal paste and run a small fillet across the top of the CPU/GPU put heat sink on top and do up screws, the pressure will squeeze the thermal paste out. This should sort things out for a few years.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Location: Walsall, W Midlands, (an area of the country that doesn't seem to exist) England.

I'm Loz.

I have to admit, Windows can be a bit of a PITA !!! My son has a iMac and its absolutely great - never a problem. I have a Linux computer aswell as a Windows PC and, to be fair, the Linux machine is very good - boots up real quick, never really has any issues etc but, I wish I understood how to operate it better - its not quite so user friendly as Windows (probably due to the fact that I'm not so familiar with it after 25 years of using Windows)
    It isn't necessarily about doing things right, its also about doing the right thing !!!!!

ITS A LONG WAY TO THE TOP........................ WHEN YA WANNA ROCK N ROLL !!!

Pioneer SA-9800, SG-9800, TX-9800, P-D70, PD-7500, TX-D1000, PL-12D, HPM-60, REL Quake.

Mission Cyrus II + PSX Transformer. Marantz CD-52 MkII Sp Edtn. Sony Mini-Disc MDS-JE530. Thorens TD-166MkII.
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2. Linn Index II + Ku-Stone Stands. REL Strata. Linn Interconnects throughout and Chord Flat Strand speaker cable.

Raspberry Pi / AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre DAC ES9023 TCXO Streamer.

I'm Geoff.

My PC has regular catastrophic system breakdowns and malware infections ('cos I like buggering about with it ). I reinstall W7 every few months anyway. No big deal.

Installed ToolWiz Cares tonight on both PCs. It's an example of the many 'one click' do it all maintenance utilities. I prefer it to the popular Glary Utilities, as it works well and doesn't try to keep selling you upgraded versions.

But that's not the reason I've installed it. It features 'Time Freeze', which locks the PC in the present configuration, so no bugs can alter anything! The PC is rendered completely safe from infection. It's a bit like a 'white list' in effect I suppose. You do have to occasionally turn it off for some functions, such as updates.

I have tried it before and found it effective and I experienced no problems. Oh and it's free.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    My PC has regular catastrophic system breakdowns and malware infections ('cos I like buggering about with it ). I reinstall W7 every few months anyway. No big deal.

Installed ToolWiz Cares tonight on both PCs. It's an example of the many 'one click' do it all maintenance utilities. I prefer it to the popular Glary Utilities, as it works well and doesn't try to keep selling you upgraded versions.

But that's not the reason I've installed it. It features 'Time Freeze', which locks the PC in the present configuration, so no bugs can alter anything! The PC is rendered completely safe from infection. It's a bit like a 'white list' in effect I suppose. You do have to occasionally turn it off for some functions, such as updates.

I have tried it before and found it effective and I experienced no problems. Oh and it's free.
    Geoff if you went to an Apple OSX device, however cheap, you won't ever need to 'bugger' about with it... they just work properly all of the time

I also used to 'bugger' about with Windows based machines, as I knew I could... and I wondered if I would ever get along with OSX as it meant I probably couldn't 'bugger' about with it in the same way.... but I can assure you that I stopped doing this once I had OSX and I have never missed 'buggering' about with it because it just works 100% all of the time...

I am not here to convert anyone but I am absolutely totally sure that if anyone tried Apple/OSX they won't EVER go back to a Windows based machine again, it really is that good...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Geoff if you went to an Apple OSX device, however cheap, you won't ever need to 'bugger' about with it.
    But I like buggering about with it! That's why I do it.

Nobody's ever shown me how to use a PC, so I learn as I go along. If I didn't tinker, I wouldn't make the mistakes that teach me what not to do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 196 1231151101 ... LastLast