+ Reply to Thread
Page 171 of 200 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 2000

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Yatsushiro View Post
    Looks like the DVI/HDMI board is a PCI add-on, the presence of which is effectively disabling the onboard VGA. You could look for a BIOS option to select the primary output device, or possibly removing the PCI card.
    Well put, I had two ostensibly the same computers, both with add on graphics card (same models), with one the card disabled the VGA, the other didn't,

Answering my own question, antenna sockets.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Judging by the response received from the seller this is the case. However, it wasn't indicated in the sale description and VGA was quoted in the spec.

I may obtain an HDMI/VGA adaptor to try, as they're cheap. But I'm not inclined to tinker with the PC in any way, as that would void my right to return.
    HDMI/DVI are digital, VGA is not, therefore adaptors are not trivial, cost a bit. Are you sure that none of you monitors have DVI at least, DVI has been going for many years?
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post

Seems good value. I believe that DVI output may have a analogue output as well, so I suppose that with a correctly wired DVI to VGA cable, that may work. I hope that I'm not talking rubbish.
    Spendorman

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Been trying some anti spyware solutions. I had 10bit Malware Fighter on there briefly. No good, despite its popularity. It had something called IMF.exe running in the background using loads of processor capacity, so it was soon uninstalled. Malwarebytes is always dependable, but does slow PCs down a bit. As does the latest incarnation of Spybot. I always install One Click Spyware Expert anyway, regardless of what else I may use. It's an old utility, but free and works on all Windows installations and it digs deep, finding all sorts of bugs. Not real time though, manual scans. I'm just messing about really, my security suite from Comodo covers every need anyway.
    Geoff, anti virus software unfortunately can be memory and CPU hungry, when I had a PC I found Kaspersky to be better that most, but do not know what it is like now. With respect to a computer fans spinning up and getting hot apart from heavy processes such as Video, music and high CPU usage then it can be caused with age due to the thermal heat sink paste between CPU and/or GPU processors getting old and hard stopping proper heat transfer. If a computer is used everyday for several hours in my experience the paste starts to harden at around 4-5 years.

Simple solution if you can get to then inside is to take the heat sink(s) off, usually held down with 4 bolts to motherboard and then clean the old of the CPU/GPU with kitchen roll and isopropyl alcohol and do same to the heat sink. Then get small tube of new thermal paste and run a small fillet across the top of the CPU/GPU put heat sink on top and do up screws, the pressure will squeeze the thermal paste out. This should sort things out for a few years.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Alex.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Geoff, anti virus software unfortunately can be memory and CPU hungry, when I had a PC I found Kaspersky to be better that most, but do not know what it is like now.
    I've been relying on Security Essentials for some time now and had no issues.

I did however try out the now old Threatfire, behaviour based A/V for a while, which has a very low demand on computer resources. An interesting product. I've noticed that some of the more well known A/V offerings now include a behaviour based element as well as the regular signature detection (which requires continual definitions updates).

Threatfire still works and can still be downloaded: https://threatfire.informer.com/
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

still using mwb premium. its served me well
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    still using mwb premium. its served me well
    I also use Malwarebytes Premium, with Zone Alarm firewall and Avast free antivirus. All three are active on my PC. Additional occasional manual scans are done with ESET online scanner, Superantispyware and Emsisoft emergency kit. Shutup10 and Debloat10 control W10!
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread