+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Leuchars

I'm John.

Default Hello from Leuchars

Hi,

I am John and I've been an Audiohaulic for 25yrs..... My first system was Rogers A100, T75II, JVC KDA5, Marantz CD65, MS Pagent 2 (when I was still a teen - part birthday and christmas and part paid by me - was step dad's old system.

Hi-fi had to get sold a number of years back as had a disc out in my neck and was getting no money and needed to get money to look after my autistic son. However this year I found some Autistic Child Friendly speakers (which my mum bought me for my 40th) and I have been resurrecting my hi-fi. Though go to say it still hurts I had to loose my cd player from last system (Cardinal, Da-Capo HDCD filter & DC PSU). Anyway I am getting there and am just finishing off and upgrading a few bits to finish things off.

Currently

Marantz LE cd player (just a get me going £5 thing)
    Ava Rip-n-play running vortexbox connected async to an rDAC
    Meridian 541 as pre
    Crimson 620 Power
    Cambridge Audio R50 Transmission lines with falcon upgraded crossovers
    DNM Reson speaker cable.

working on re-purposing an old Sugden A88 with totally dead pre section as a power amp (10watt class A - 80 Watt total). Though considering trying a Crown PSA2, DC300a or PS400 due to the R50's needing a big damping factor.

Turntable is on the go. I got a Lenco diy ptp5 style plates in slate plinth with cutout for 12" sme. My 3009 is winging it's way to Ray at Sonik Sircle to be converted to a 12", serviced, rewired, carbon fibre armtube for less than half what a 3012 would cost (will need to make do with grado red or nagaoka mp11boron to start then upgrade later). And I am working on getting a suitable a phono stage at the moment.

So once tt installed on target wall shelf I would like to upgrade the Pre, the CD player, the DAC but i'll get there.

Most of all Enjoy The Music

John
    Last edited by mr1macuk; 14-09-2015 at 17:03.

I'm Grant.

Hello and welcome John. The more you struggle the better it sounds is my motto. I hope you enjoy the forum
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

In that case looking after an autistic child full time a midi crappy supermarket box should sound like Krell Sonus faber excellent!!!!

I'm Grant.

I know where your at John
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Hello John. Welcome to AOS.

Quite a nice first system you had there starting out and an interesting one you run now. We like vintage gear.

Tell us what music you listen to and if you have projects on the go, some photos for The Drawing Board section would be good.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

Will get some photos up soon.

Music tastes are very eclectic with a bit of everything from Sinatra to current but I guess my main love is Blues and 70's rock sorta things.

Projects will be Sugden a88 into power amp (10watt class A 80 watt total) though with bigger heatsyncs may try and bump to 15watt class A. Other project is a Lenco speed controller. In future when wee lass is at nursery and wee man is at school I would love to build a diy set TL's based on R50 plans with modern drivers but we will see.

Just woking on getting components to a level I am happy with and a good synergy.

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS John

Regards Neil

I'm John.

A few of the setup. TT wont have that arm but a 12" sonik sircled SME 3009 and excuse wallpaper - not long moved in

I'm Geoff.

R50s looking impressive!

I've heard those many times, but never owned any.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

Yep and are autistic bairn proof (with the spike plinth things added at some point I estimate 47/48kg each speaker and 1.45m tall)... Though the lenco Turntable shipping weight was 52kg lol

Falcon crossovers are a must though. The ones with fixed bass leak, improved MF and HF crossover points and Super power handling are to be recommended (more modern sound and it helps increasing the stupid 25watt max/50watt peak originals are rated for)... Needs close to 100watt amp to make these move (seem to like current) and damping factor as high as you can

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast