+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A newby from North Shropshire, Here's one for the Tannoy Purists! What do you think?

I'm Tony.

Default A newby from North Shropshire, Here's one for the Tannoy Purists! What do you think?

I have a simple setup comprising Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Teak, Pro-Ject and my pride and joy; Tannoy Cheviots (HPD315).

Now I suspected that the caps, in the Cheviots, may need to be replaced but notice they are original and are the red encapsulated WIMA foil type. Rather than stripping the crossovers down and possibly knackering them, I decided to build new ones from scratch.

Now, I also knew that the Tannoy crossovers were built with standard pcb's. I measured the typical resistances of a few isolated pcb tracks. Ok, so why not use Vero board for my prototypes, I thought. Track resistance is only very slightly higher but if I use new inductors with lower DCR's then it should balance out, right?

Anyway that is what I have done and my new crossovers sound only marginally different than the originals.
    So for just £40 odd quid I have confirmed that the WIMA caps are still ok and I do not need to butcher the existing Tannoy units.

I have read soooooo much on here about the subtleties of various capacitor combinations but really guys (copper foil inductors, superior z-caps and mundorfs in oil)!! Isn't it all a bit ott when Willies HiFi coils and MKT caps do the same as the original??

When I work out how to post pictures here, I will upload my effort. Don’t you just love a new controversy

I'm Geoff.

Hi Tony. Welcome to AOS.

Plenty of Tannoy users here. I use Cheviot Mk.II speakers myself.

Your crossover experiments are interesting, but may not have told you the whole story. It certainly won't hurt to put modern equivalent capacitors into the crossovers. It's easy enough to do. I'm looking at a spare pair of Cheviot crossovers right now and I can see there's no accessibility problem once the knobs are (carefully) removed and the circuit board screws released.

Anyway. Tell us what music you like listening to and if you have any plans for your system.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Welcome aboard Tony. I am Tannoyless
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Default Thank you for the warm welcome Geoff

Thank you for the warm welcome Geoff.

To be honest, I was expecting hell fire and brimstone to be hurled at me for questioning what I know has been a lot of hard work and experimentation from other more learned chaps than me. I believe Paul at Reffc is particularly clued up on the HPD crossover. I have indeed studied his works closely.

From my experiments with the proprietory Vero boards, I can't see a problem with it's use in building low cost replacements.
    I suppose it's all down to the ear of the beholder but the price of some 'high' quality caps, coils and resistors, to me, just cant be justified. ... ...... yet!

Litening trials and measured open room frequency response comparisons will follow.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Tony.

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
    Barry
    Barry

Location: Walsall, W Midlands, (an area of the country that doesn't seem to exist) England.

I'm Loz.

You know, sometimes controversy is a good stimulant and I quite like it....................... 95% of the time; you know, when somebody chucks a spanner in the works kinda thing, gets things fired up a bit !!!! Gets the ball rolling

Welcome to AOS !!
    It isn't necessarily about doing things right, its also about doing the right thing !!!!!

ITS A LONG WAY TO THE TOP........................ WHEN YA WANNA ROCK N ROLL !!!

Pioneer SA-9800, SG-9800, TX-9800, P-D70, PD-7500, TX-D1000, PL-12D, HPM-60, REL Quake.

Mission Cyrus II + PSX Transformer. Marantz CD-52 MkII Sp Edtn. Sony Mini-Disc MDS-JE530. Thorens TD-166MkII.
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2. Linn Index II + Ku-Stone Stands. REL Strata. Linn Interconnects throughout and Chord Flat Strand speaker cable.

Raspberry Pi / AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre DAC ES9023 TCXO Streamer.

I'm Tony.

Default How things have moved forward

It seems so long ago that I started my crossover adventure. It has evolved a bit. Over 160 pairs of replacement Tannoy crossovers and 60 pairs of Celestions manufactured date and going strong.

Thanks for all the inspiration guys
    Tony Morris
    www.amocom.co.uk

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by tonymorris View Post
    It seems so long ago that I started my crossover adventure. It has evolved a bit. Over 160 pairs of replacement Tannoy crossovers and 60 pairs of Celestions manufactured date and going strong.

Tony Morris
    www.amocom.co.uk
    Sounds like you've really paid your dues Tony. Your crossovers look excellent BTW!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by tonymorris View Post

Tony Morris
    www.amocom.co.uk
    Welcome Tony. And I wouldn't be surprised if you hear from Marco regarding getting a trade account!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm brian.

Took you a long time to welcome him Lawrence, he s been here for 4 years ! Anyway welcome Tony. Gone and done the same thing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast