+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Why HiFi Doesn't Work

Hi Dave

Thanks for asking, it's from £2800 to £200,000 for the stereos. From £8k - £500k for surround systems.

I think what is more interesting is what is different about these systems compared to any alternatives which briefly is:
    - they are digital throughout the electronics so no noise or colouration is added
    - they are measured and corrected with RoomPerfect arguable the best room correction system available.

Question

As this was started by a fellow dealer, I think it might be moved to the trade area. Then there would be nothing to stop Rob advertising as much as he wants?

Dave

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Hi Clive,
    What is the PC programme that you used to produce the traces that you posted, if indeed it is a PC programme. I'm 'into' PCs and hi-fi in an interested amateur way so I'd like to know if it's something I could 'play with'.
    Cheers,
    Hi Dave,

I use the XTZ Room Analyzer, this is a calibrated mic with soundcard in the mic housing, this connects via USB to your computer. There are various free programs available though they don't seem as easy to use. The XTZ system has an RTA that measures up to 20K but the main part of the app is for bass only as it's used for subwoofer setup.

http://www.xtz.se/produkt.php?allman...kt=41&eng=true

Clive - thanks for the graphs.

Looks like a 15db variation is bass performance before EQ. This is pretty typical. I wonder how many people realise how much their room is distorting the sound of their systems?

What system did you use to measure your systems response?

What do you EQ with?

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sinden View Post
    What do you EQ with?
    XTZ Sub Amp 1 DSP (two of them).

My system uses DSP in the bass and pure SET above that, some would say it's a mix of technologies but it's one that works for me. And yes, many rooms are at least as bad as mine, some folks spend huge amounts box swapping when it's the room that needs fixing.

My room and system is here:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3970

I'm Neil.

Rob

On AOS we encourage our trade members to initiate and take part in discussions, but conversation which strays into over promotion of their products is not what AOS is about. So far this thread is IMHO is straying a little to close to the edge of promotion (its a fine line and I don't want to stifle interesting debate that we can all learn from). However if you could talk about the technical side of things and a little less about the brand you represent then I am happy to let this thread stay here and not move it to the trade section where out and out promotion is okay.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 29-09-2009 at 17:24.
    Regards Neil

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi rob,
    welcome to AOS, i witnessed first hand what room correction equipment can do in terms of matching a system to a paticular room and its acoustics, this was at the heathrow show in 2004 where three of my power amplifiers were powering a system put together by derek wilson of [then] overkill audio, the sound the whole system produced in that room was probably one of the best i had ever heard at a hi fi show, six moons also gave the room best of show so i am very much a convert in terms of matching a system to a given room for best posible results, although my prefrence is to acheive it with out all the added electronics.
    regards,anthony,TD...

Cool. I'll try and stick to the ideas behind this different approach.

The aim is to maintain the audio signal in the digital domain throughout the electronics. This way far less noise or colouration is added to the signal. I had never been that bothered by the background noise that systems created, but once you have lived with a systems that adds nothing additional to the signal you quickly become aware of how much audio systems add to the sound on your recordings. Just as digital has replaced analogue reproduction in many other areas, I think the same is inevitable in the audio domain.

The second major principal is accepting that even if you had a perfect hifi, it would sound very different from room to room. As such any hifi must be measured and corrected to match it's acoustic environment if it is ever to be accurate. These are two principals that I think make perfect sense and create much more life like sound which is what I look for in an audio system.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sinden View Post
    Cool. I'll try and stick to the ideas behind this different approach.

The aim is to maintain the audio signal in the digital domain throughout the electronics. This way far less noise or colouration is added to the signal. I had never been that bothered by the background noise that systems created, but once you have lived with a systems that adds nothing additional to the signal you quickly become aware of how much audio systems add to the sound on your recordings. Just as digital has replaced analogue reproduction in many other areas, I think the same is inevitable in the audio domain.

The second major principal is accepting that even if you had a perfect hifi, it would sound very different from room to room. As such any hifi must be measured and corrected to match it's acoustic environment if it is ever to be accurate. These are two principals that I think make perfect sense and create much more life like sound which is what I look for in an audio system.
    Thank you.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast