+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PC knackered....Any thoughts....Apple MINI MAC

I'm brian.

Default PC knackered....Any thoughts....Apple MINI MAC

Our computer is long past its best, so we went looking for a new one yesterday, to PC world.

The assistant was trying to push an Apple MINI MAC.

This is something I know nothing about.

My needs are very basic. Mainly internet browsing and E Mails, with a little bit of letter writing/lists. At the moment I use a document file for this.
    I would want somewhere to store photos that are sent to me or I download.

Stuff like streaming or downloading music, or watching films etc etc are not needed.

As I said.....Basic

The sales guy tells me the MINI MAC is perfect for my needs...................He would !!!

Any thoughts?

I'm Pete.

Perhaps this thread is better paced in Digitial Expressions...?

That aside, not taking anything away from what Apple can offer Brian, take a look at this thread, there are some very cost effective small footprint PC solutions around these days...
    CDP: Primare CD31 Amp: Audio Note Oto SE DAC: M2Tech Young & Van Der Graaf PSU Speakers: Tannoy Cheviots
    Streaming: bespoke Korus server with SOtM soundcard, AudioQuest Jitterbug & Furutech GT2 USB cable
    Speaker Cable: Tellurium Q Black - Interconnects: MS Audio/Klotz MC5000

Come Chill With Me...
    https://www.mixcloud.com/orbscure
    http://theorbscureddj.blogspot.co.uk
    + play + enjoy + float + dream +

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    Stuff like streaming or downloading music, or watching films etc etc are not needed.

As I said.....Basic

The sales guy tells me the MINI MAC is perfect for my needs...................He would !!! Any thoughts?
    A Mac Mini would indeed be complete overkill and vastly over-priced for what you need - check out the thread Pete has linked to and save yourself £££££

I'm brian.

Pete and Mike, thanks for your input.

much appreciated

I'm Sam.

What's your old computer?

For the basic things you describe you use it for, a PC 4 years old would suffice. Mine is a laptop from 2011, cost me £240 secondhand and really speedy for anything I do. Is an i5 processor and has a fancy swivel touch screen which pushes up the price and which you don't need. Mine was a top model and is perfect for HD films and audio streaming - far more even than what you need.

I find that most problems on PCs are software related these days as they are plenty fast enough to handle every day tasks and then some.

For slow internet browsing though, I find it's the loading up of all the ads which slow everything down sometimes to a snail's pace so an ad blocker is essential (I use Ghostery).

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by orbscure View Post
    Perhaps this thread is better paced in Digitial Expressions...?

Not audio related.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Advent View Post
    Not audio related.
    Correct.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

I bought a new one of these earlier this year, it works very well. This refurb looks OK for the money. Seller has decent enough feedback.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A1-Refurbi...item21026c7de7
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Sean.

there have been some good deals for very small nettop computers (HP 260 G1, Dell Micro, Acer Revo One - these are about the size of router) for around £100 in the last month or so but the deals seem to have ended, it may be worth being patient to see what other deals pop up - Hotukdeals is a good site for checking for deals.

If you are not fussed about it being very small this customer return available from BT shop at £139 with 6 months warranty should more than meet your needs - it's still reasonably small for a pc but a lot larger than a nettop - actually just noticed this is very similar spec to the one Walpurgis has linked above.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/leno...html#usedstock

+ Reply to Thread