+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Firebottle Power Amplfier

I'm Alan.

Default Firebottle Power Amplfier

My creative juices have been flowing again and I have made a prototype hybrid power amplifier.

It will be known as the Firebottle AXOLOTL

Here are the innards of the prototype:

It takes the best of hybrid technologies with my 'super linear' triode amplification and MosFET output.

The circuitry isn't finalised yet but should offer 80W rms per channel, with a zero feedback approach.
    Inspired by Croft but improved by Firebottle and it is NOT a copy.

Just listening now and it trumps my OuTLaw OTL valve amplifier, just oodles of clarity, air, but with lots of 'heft' that some power on tap can provide.

Last edited by Firebottle; 02-09-2015 at 16:47.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Geoff.

That looks interesting Alan. Valve MosFET hybrids have always seemed a good idea to me. Not tried one though, but I enjoy valve amps and have enjoyed MosFET amps, so the potential for the best of both worlds is rather appealing.

Looking forward to hearing about the finalised design.

Weren't the old Moscode amps this type of design? Seem to recall they were.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Thats a bosker of a transformer...what does that put out?
    Not convinced of the name tjough..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

The transformer came included in the 'parts' deal I did with Macca, it is the correct output voltage but way over specified for the job in hand at 500VA

Geoff it does seems rather appealing to use the best of both worlds. Been listening for a while now and the attack and clarity makes instruments so realistic, plus the amp runs very cool, definitely not what I could say for my valve OTL amplifiers
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Geoff.

I thought so. Moscode hybrids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5JhcMhfuzo

Looks rather good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

I'm checking for spy cameras in my workshop I'm working on something so similar I'll wager they're virtually the same....

I'm James.

Interesting Beast Alan. You can't stop tinkering
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Shaun.

Loving the concept behind this as I adore Croft amplifiers but find they do not have enough 'welly'. Also love the idea of zero feedback and what it does for 'air' and 'space'. I shall be watching this one intently.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Looks interesting Alan,

I have always thought the use of a valve driver with a MOSFET output stage to be a good one: high impedance input with good overload properties and a high current, low impedance output to match the speakers. The secret of a good valve power amplifier lays with the design and quality of the output transformer; so avoiding them is, IMO, a very good idea - though Anthony might disagree! Is it single ended?

Apropos the name: AXOLOTL, it's appropriate as your design is indeed 'output transformerless', but does it have the self-repairing capability of the Axolotl ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl
    Barry

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    but does it have the self-repairing capability of the Axolotl ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl
    Good one Barry, I'll have to build that in

That said it is a very cool running amplifier and I have improved the bias stability to the output stage. It really is a fantastic match for the respective input and output tasks, ideal for being driven with whatever passive preamp you may prefer, or active as your prediliction dictates.

I don't know why I haven't researched this approach before, probably because of a 'tubes only' attitude previously.

I have been experimenting with the driver stage today and have achieved 100W rms with one channel driven with a stunning square wave response.
    Previously I was tinkering with voltage doubling from the main transformer to power the driver stage but it performs better with a traditional transformer/rectifier.

Definitely the most transparent sounding power amp I have built to date.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast