+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sennheiser HD540 Reference II

I'm Kevin.

Default Sennheiser HD540 Reference II

After reading about how coloured my HD650 are, I have taken the plunge and bought a clean and tidy pair of these headphones on eBay. I hope they will be here by the weekend.

I have read positive reviews about these, some saying they are better than the 650/700/&00 models that Sennheiser now manufacture. I look forward to comparing them to see how true this statement is.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm oscar.

I've got some 540ref gold's ,great sounding headphones I'm sure you'll be pleased with them.
    www.oscarsaudio.co.uk Turntable Mats , Platforms , Headphone Stands , Cables , Cones

I'm Kevin.

The headphones arrived today. A nice clean, original example.
    I am pleasantly surprised at just how natural these sound.

It's still too early to decide if I prefer the 540 or 650, but both are enjoyable.
    Kevin

I'm Juha.

I am another Sennheiser HD 540 fan here.
    I remember reading all of this before buying these.

Here we have over 1000 posts on the merits of these headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/670255/wow-...ce-are-so-good

I'm Kevin.

Today I made myself a longer replacement cable using some Sommer Peacock II - http://shop.sommercable.com/en/Cable...-200-0551.html I went for the blue version so I could easily tell the difference between my headphone cables.

The biggest problem was finding connectors for the headphone end - After much searching I found some here http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4543
    The amp end is fitted with a Neutrik NP3X-BAG.

I am pretty happy with the result for a "low cost" cable upgrade. The phones seem to sound better than when the original cable is fitted.
    Kevin

I'm Lawrence.

Resurrecting this thread as I just got a pair of these. For a few minutes thought these are a bit bright, then they grew on me. I think they are 300 ohm so ideal match for OTL valve amps and if you don't like the so called veil of the 580/600/650 they may suit you better. I use them with my Eufonika 6N13S (dual triode) single ended OTL amp. Very pleased.

I'm Lawrence.

Been a few years now. I sold mine after a year or so (also my 560 Ovations) as I wanted to cut my collection down and I also had the 580s and 650s.

Fast forward a few years and I've been wondering if I would like them with my new gear so I've bought both models again and I'm really enjoying them. They complement the 580s and 650s nicely and I have a range of tonalities from the TOTL dynamic Sennheisers from the 80s/90s.

I'm Grant.

nnot had any sennys for may years. ive loads of cans but no senns. currently top of my pile are the focals using a 4.4mm after market cable.
    best cans ive had; for me anyway. ... i do have a set of oppo planars, which are good too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

I had the PM3s and PM2s, PM3s pressed on my ears so I sold them. The PM2 were a bit small too but I squeezed my ears inside them and they sounded amazing. Wish I hadn't sold them.

+ Reply to Thread