+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from Henderson, Nevada USA

Default Hello from Henderson, Nevada USA

Hello all! I am located in Henderson, Nevada USA. Henderson is a stones throw from Las Vegas. I've been into this hobby is 1985.

I'm Neil.

Hi Allan

Welcome to AOS.

I have given your post its own thread.

What kind of system do you use ? What kind of music do you listen to/like ?

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 27-09-2009 at 16:29.
    Regards Neil

Default 25 years of baby steps:

My rig is an odd collection of mostly used equipment bought online. VTL 300 mono blocks, Musical Fidelity 308cr pre, Mac mini dedicated music server, Musical Fidelity Tri Vista 21 DAC, Esoteric DV-50 digital disc player and Technics SL-1700 w/cartridges: AT-150, AT-14sa and Denon DL-160. I do not seem to sell speakers and have B&W 801 s3, Acoustat Spectra 33 and Thiel CS6 w/SS1. I rotate speakers based on season and mood. The fall seems to be the Acoustat season.

I am 57 and my taste in music reflects my age. 60's and 70's rock, Classical, progressive, electronic, a small amount of country and jazz.

I'm Neil.

Hi Allan

Very nice set up...Musical Fidelity gear before it went wrong for them (IMHO). The Esoterics a great front end as is the Technics and nice collection of cartridges. Your speakers are good as well (though B&W would not be one of my faves). The Acoustat Spectra 33 are very good, heard a set a number of years ago.

Great taste in music too.

I for one, and I know many would agree, would love to see photos of your system.

Once again welcome.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Neil

Before getting the MF 308 I tried to sell the 801's! I bought them locally only because they were a forgotten dream from the late 80's. You know one of those right place and time things and out of reach. Anyway got them in my room and didn't really like them. They sounded harsh and tinnie. I tried to sell them twice but never wanted to lower the price. So I pushed them to the back of the room. The MF 308 had taken the edge off them and now they are keepers. If I did it right I've attached a picture. You will see a loaned Technics 1210II. Man what a rock solid device.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan W. View Post
    Neil

Before getting the MF 308 I tried to sell the 801's! I bought them locally only because they were a forgotten dream from the late 80's. You know one of those right place and time things and out of reach. Anyway got them in my room and didn't really like them. They sounded harsh and tinnie. I tried to sell them twice but never wanted to lower the price. So I pushed them to the back of the room. The MF 308 had taken the edge off them and now they are keepers. If I did it right I've attached a picture. You will see a loaned Technics 1210II. Man what a rock solid device.
    Hi Allan

I know what you mean. Sometimes an early purchase only comes to fruition later when other items allow it to work fully. I think the question is patience some people buy an item and then dump it to soon before they fully plumb its abilities. In your case not being able to sell the 801's saved them for that moment. How you describe them is how I hear them. The MF 308 series was the last IMHO great MF range before they went down the limited edition road and annoyed many of their customers, also it was the last series to be musical rather than designed to have vanishing distortion figures. I know many like the KW series and its ilk, but not I.

Nice looking set up Allan thanks for posting the photo. Is that a Camel album I see sitting there ?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Allan, welcome aboard, great looking system you've got there, and amazing surroundings to Henderson - I spent a week doing Death Valley/Grand Canyon/Las Vegas 10 years ago - wonderful experience. Enjoy the forum, good to have you with us.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Nick.

Very nice, Alan. Welcome to AOS!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post

............ Is that a Camel album I see sitting there ?

Regards D S D L
    Sure is: Camel's 'Nude'.

Looks like you're also a Pink Floyd fan Allan - some very nice kit there.

Welcome to AoS.
    Barry

Thank you all for such a wonderful welcome! Yes that's a Camel LP. I just got it. I found an NOS copy online. Camel is one of those band I'd known about but never heard. A friend turned me on to "Dust and Dreams" and I became a huge fan. Progressive Rock is a fav, Pink Floyd, Nektar, classic Genesis etc..

Regards
    Allan

+ Reply to Thread