+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Damascine moment.....

I'm Neil.

Default Damascine moment.....

Hi Guys

Watching Classic Albums on BBC 4. Tonight its the first album from the Doors. Now I like the Doors, but not all of the Doors music...I thought it was good but overrated. My fave album by them is LA Woman mainly because of Riders of The Storm. However tonight I finally got what the Doors were about the talent, musicianship, craftsmanship, poetry. The sheer inventiveness and magic of what they did collectively and sadly the huge loss to music that Jim's death was....no Jim, no Doors.

I will now be seeking to listen to more Doors music.

Have you had a sudden moment when you suddenly got what a particular band or album was about ? Something that everyone else rates but you didn't, you just did not get it but then Bamb you do?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

So many songs from my childhood I knew the words to, but not their meaning...

I suppose the first was The Beatles' Rubber Soul, the different vibes, irony and raw emotion in some of the songs is awsome, even today IMO..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

I have yet to get the Beatles or the Stones.....maybe someday.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If you take Rubber Soul for example, on first hearing it's a *nice* collection of pop songs

(and I mean *nice* as taking a nice girl out for a nice meal in a nice restaurant - damning with faint praise if you see what I mean)

Listen to most of the tracks in isolation, you begin to get the irony (Girl, Norwegian Wood, I'm Looking Through You)and a little anger and viciousness too from John (Run For Your Life) and the beautiful and genuinely felt "In My Life," which we had played at our wedding. This latter track I knew almost backwards, but in the context of a 38 year old getting married (for the first time) and with fond and loving memories of "people and things, that went before. I know I'll often stop and think about them, (but) In my life, I love you more..." you hopefully start to "get" why I love this track so much and how much the sentiments in the song mean to me.

Another song that means loads to my wife is Queen's "These Were the Days of Our Lives," a track that now brings tears to my eyes when I hear it.

I could go on, but you know what I'm going on about

"...High vibration go on
    To the sun, oh let my heart dreaming
    Past a mortal as me
    Where can I be?

Wish the sun to stand still
    Reaching out to touch our own being
    Past all mortal as we
    Here we can be

Like the time I ran away
    And turned around
    And you were standing close to me...."

Oh gawd, I've done it now...

"...You could say you'd see me soon
    but you're as silent as the moon.
    You could say, "let's start again,"
    but you think of other men.

And I wonder if I ever knew
    the more elusive inner you,
    For the buttons of your mind were difficult to find
    and my fingers far too clumsy...

You're not mine any more, as we take our last walk together. Along the midnight shore, before we say good-bye...Forever..............."

Apologies for above - just a few that "clicked" in my later adult life yet the true meanings went over my head when first heard
    Last edited by DSJR; 25-09-2009 at 21:40.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm joe.

I'm just discovering Bo Diddley, who was clearly hugely influential, but whom I'd previously regarded as a 'novelty act'.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    If you take Rubber Soul for example, on first hearing it's a *nice* collection of pop songs

(and I mean *nice* as taking a nice girl out for a nice meal in a nice restaurant - damning with faint praise if you see what I mean)

Listen to most of the tracks in isolation, you begin to get the irony (Girl, Norwegian Wood, I'm Looking Through You)and a little anger and viciousness too from John (Run For Your Life) and the beautiful and genuinely felt "In My Life," which we had played at our wedding. This latter track I knew almost backwards, but in the context of a 38 year old getting married (for the first time) and with fond and loving memories of "people and things, that went before. I know I'll often stop and think about them, (but) In my life, I love you more..." you hopefully start to "get" why I love this track so much and how much the sentiments in the song mean to me.

Another song that means loads to my wife is Queen's "These Were the Days of Our Lives," a track that now brings tears to my eyes when I hear it.

I could go on, but you know what I'm going on about

"...High vibration go on
    To the sun, oh let my heart dreaming
    Past a mortal as me
    Where can I be?

Wish the sun to stand still
    Reaching out to touch our own being
    Past all mortal as we
    Here we can be

Like the time I ran away
    And turned around
    And you were standing close to me...."

Oh gawd, I've done it now...

"...You could say you'd see me soon
    but you're as silent as the moon.
    You could say, "let's start again,"
    but you think of other men.

And I wonder if I ever knew
    the more elusive inner you,
    For the buttons of your mind were difficult to find
    and my fingers far too clumsy...

You're not mine any more, as we take our last walk together. Along the midnight shore, before we say good-bye...Forever..............."

Apologies for above - just a few that "clicked" in my later adult life yet the true meanings went over my head when first heard
    Hi Dave

Nothing wrong with a bit of Yes.

regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Steve.

I really like the Doors. 'The end' is my favourite though obviously I like most of their output.

The Beatles however, well I have never liked their music if I am honest with the exception of one or two tracks. I am sure there is some kind of silly unwritten rule that says if you like music you have to like them. I think some of their music is just like that by the Monty Python team, just not as funny! YMMV etc...
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm ChrisB.

Well, I always 'got' The Beatles, but it's only relatively recently that me & the Stones really clicked.

Of course the singles had an impact, but there (was) so much more to them than those big hits.

The Doors have always been a favourite ever since I could relate to Morisson's brand of 6th Form poetry (when I was in the 5th Form). I soon realised that he was a real ess aightch one tee, though. And that debut album is most certainly in the list of the most important lp's of the last century.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Well, I always 'got' The Beatles, but it's only relatively recently that me & the Stones really clicked.

Of course the singles had an impact, but there (was) so much more to them than those big hits.

The Doors have always been a favourite ever since I could relate to Morisson's brand of 6th Form poetry (when I was in the 5th Form). I soon realised that he was a real ess aightch one tee, though. And that debut album is most certainly in the list of the most important lp's of the last century.
    I know you used quotations, but I really dislike the word 'got' in that context. It implies that someone who doesn't 'get' a particular type of music, lets say jazz for the sake of argument, is somehow unable to comprehend the music, or is maybe in some way not as much of a 'music lover' because they simply do not like that type of music. I have seen this on many forums over a number of years, and nothing else conveys to me that there are those who consider themselves in some way superior to others who 'don't get' whatever band they do 'get' if you see what I mean. Snobbishness and pomposity of the highest order.

Sorry about that, I know you didn't mean it that way, or that you were implying it but it triggered something I had wanted to say for a very long time. I will get off my soap box now!

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm ChrisB.

No, I know exactly what you mean. I detest the inferrence that someone is somehow better than someone else because of their taste in music - derived from being bullied about Mozart when I was a kid.
    Clicked is a better word - I used that about the Stones. I always enjoyed their music, but I never understood how someone could become obsessed by them. Now I see it (even though I'm not obsessed by them)!

However, I do freely use the word if I don't 'get' something myself. I used it recently about Bat For Lashes on this forum - I just didn't understand why anyone thought the music was outstanding - it seemed fairly run of the mill to me from what I had seen/heard. I made an effort to listen to the albums & suddenly understood. What had led me to not 'get' it was a fairly lacklustre live performance shackled to abominable BBC sound mixing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast