+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low energy storage in racks.....

I'm Gone.

Default Low energy storage in racks.....

I've been playing around with low energy storing racks and supports for some time and having decided that the Atacama plus the sound design and another Atacama shelf for the telly was a bit much, the time had come for a new rack. I was aided in this my the fact that the new OPPO has taken over as a single silver disc spinner, so I could change the layout a bit. People here my know about the Loricraft plinth that uses squash balls to absorb spurious energy and the Russ Andrews Torlyte system that uses torsional box construction to get rigidity without mass, which allows the rack to dissipate these energies. Ikea produce many products in their Lack range that use that use a product called Doofaylite, this is a cardboard honeycomb that is doped with a phenolic resin. The honeycomb gives strength and rigidity for little mass, I have used the "Lack" coffee tables as stands for some pretty high end TTs in the past, up to and including the Garrard 501 and in combination with the "Soundstage" isolation platform I developed for them, they have worked well.

I have been doing quite a bit of research over the last few months to get the construction and isolation right. The top section is actually on hidden ball bearings to improve isolation from the base section. First assembly and test of what I'm now pretty sure is the final version looks like this.

So the million dollar question, as ever is how well does it work? First impressions are a far greater bass extension, it was already really good but now goes way deeper with more definition in the bass and in fact, more definition overall. The imaging is now the best I've heard, the speakers have totally disappeared and the sound hangs in the air, great sense of height and back to front depth. I have been noticing this more and more as i've been trying this material out and now it has been fully assembled it has verified my theory that energy dissipation is the ideal in supports and plinths rather than high mass. Also, it looks cool rather than industrial.

I'm Brian.

That's the unit I use Paul and it's very good . I wanted mine a little higher though so I bought one of their coffee tables which was the same colour ( 7 quid ) and used the legs from it . They're the same legs only much longer . Very nice setup BTW .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Looks good, you will find the materials used in Russ Andrews Torlyte and IKEA furniture are different. Torlyte is much more rigid and a more dense construction, yet feather light. Do they sound the same, no idea.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Looks good, you will find the materials used in Russ Andrews Torlyte and IKEA furniture are different. Torlyte is much more rigid and a more dense construction, yet feather light. Do they sound the same, no idea.
    As I said, the Russ Andrews Torlyte use tortional box construction, albeit in their case wood and in the case of the Ikea stuff resin doped cardboard. Does the same job at a fraction of the price of Torlyte.

I'm James.

Yes the Ikea stuff is a bargain, have you ever had the oppertunity to compare Torlyte and Ikea side by side?
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Mark.

Agreed the IKEA "Lac" is a cheap starting point and a rave recommendation of yesteryore by Sondek owners but seriously not a solution if isolaton is the aim. For me a good wall shelf, Sound Organisation for instance, with a Torlyte shelf and Atacama glass topped Isolation platform with the Anni sat on top !!! This need not break the bank, I picked the wall shelf up for £25 on ebay !
    Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Yes the Ikea stuff is a bargain, have you ever had the oppertunity to compare Torlyte and Ikea side by side?
    James, I did this a few years ago, that's what steered me in this direction. I would say, that with my system it is probably as good as torlyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    Agreed the IKEA "Lac" is a cheap starting point and a rave recommendation of yesteryore by Sondek owners but seriously not a solution if isolaton is the aim. For me a good wall shelf, Sound Organisation for instance, with a Torlyte shelf and Atacama glass topped Isolation platform with the Anni sat on top !!! This need not break the bank, I picked the wall shelf up for £25 on ebay !
    Mark, bouncy TTs like the Linn, PT et al need a tremendous amount of isolation in my opinion, this is one reason I steer clear of them unless they are high mass like the Orbe. The main use of low energy storing/dissapating supports like this, is to dissapate spurious energy and prevent it from clouding the sound. I first used the Lack side table as a TT stand about 20 years ago, with a Garrard 501 at the Derbyshire HiFi show, it worked a treat.

I'm Mark.

Well having heard turntables like the Orbe, Rock, Voyd, Xerxes, SME20, Nottingham Analogue, Oracle etc etc on a wall shelf, with excellent results I am not sure where we disagree! The Lac may be more beneficial to turntables with a higher mass design than those relying more upon suspension but that doesn't mean the a wall shelf is ineffective, my ears certainly wouldn't agree !
    Life long music lover and Hi-Fi enthusiast for over 40 years, avid live music supporter, dismayed by the current dynamic ticket pricing applied to so many events !!

I'm Gone.

I don't disagree about wall shelves, thay can be very useful for isolation, this is about controling spurios energy by dispersing it, which is a different kettle of fish. I have a solid wood floor masticed onto concrete, so isolation is not the problem really, dispersing sprious energy is what's needed. I note you use a Torlyte platform, this will be doing this for your system.

I'm jamie.

that all looks rather nice indeed paul!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast