+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A Freebie Tweak (well amost)

I'm Martin.

I refer you to what I said earlier in the thread re this sort of thing:

There's a level where we dip below our ability to distinguish genuine improvement from placebo and it in that grey area that these things 'work'.

My marker for an effective tweak is 'could I spot the difference in a blind test?' And if the answer is no then it is almost certainly not effective. If the answer is 'I think so' then you are onto something.

The problem is that there is no reason - either in known science or offered by the purveyor - why these discs should make any difference whatsoever to sound quality. This is an exercise in human psychology and psycho-acoustics, not an audio product.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I refer you to what I said earlier in the thread re this sort of thing:

There's a level where we dip below our ability to distinguish genuine improvement from placebo and it in that grey area that these things 'work'.

My marker for an effective tweak is 'could I spot the difference in a blind test?' And if the answer is no then it is almost certainly not effective. If the answer is 'I think so' then you are onto something.

The problem is that there is no reason - either in known science or offered by the purveyor - why these discs should make any difference whatsoever to sound quality. This is an exercise in human psychology and psycho-acoustics, not an audio product.
    I don't know what this means. Either you have or haven't taken a blind test. "Could I" is just another theory!
    ABD.

I'm Martin.

Yes, I know, but it is still a good mental exercise for putting things in perspective.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richard.

Mental exercise? Are you mental?
    We just bought a sofa (£2000!) and two hours in the shop trying to decide, then having to do it again because the salesman suddenly discovered they didn't do it in leather, is enough mental exercise for a lifetime!
    ABD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345