I'm scott.

This will drive any speaker Ever built

Lifetime Warranty Made in the USA
    500wpc @ 8ohms
    900wpc @ 4ohms
    1600wpc @ 2ohms
    7000wpc @ 0.3ohms
    Stable into 1/3rd of a Ohm Loads to Drive Any Speaker
    MAGTECH is a power amplfier designed specifically to drive electrostatic speakers and other very difficult Loads including Planar & conventional magnetic speakers

if you need even more power they do monoblocks @ 1600wpc @ 8ohms

This powerful amplifier (500W into 8 ohms, 900W into 4 ohms) is the most consistent amplifier I have ever heard. Regardless of the load it performs equally well at all frequencies and never shows strain. At the same time its transparency and low noise floor allow it to fully reflect the character of upstream components and subtle nuances and harmonics. To accomplish that, Roger Sanders developed (patent pending) a voltage regulated power supply that maintains a stable voltage regardless of load or reasonable changes in the line voltage. This enables the maintenance of stable bias and unchanged distortion levels. In addition to outstanding audio performance, Roger Sanders stands behind his products (both amplifiers and loudspeakers) from the factory in Conifer, Colorado. Sanders products carry a lifetime warranty - TAS Review

I have reviewed many high-end products of all stripes over the years, with many claiming all kinds of bullshit innovations. But the Magtech is the real deal, a truly astonishing device. Sanders has hit one out of the sonic park with this bad boy.

According to Roger’s white paper, “In the Magtech's voltage regulator, you will not find any waste heat. It will pass virtually all of the watts put into it on to the amplifiers.“ This translates into a rated power of 500W/Ch into 8 ohms, and 900W/Ch into 4 ohms.

In truth, you could probably plug it straight into Hoover dam’s main power outlet and frigid tons of megawatts would come gushing through. And unlike other amplifiers, the distortion in the Magtech amplifier is virtually unchanged regardless of power level. The bias is stable regardless of load.

But what’s really incredible about the Magtech is its clarity of sound. Not like transistors, not like tubes, but something altogether different.
    And when you hear it, you go, yeah, that’s absolutely right.

I'm gone.

Touted and highly rated elsewhere on AOS is the big Nak AV power amp. 150wpc.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...o-Halfway-Tree
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...Rat-HiFi/page7
    http://stylco-electronics.myshopify....ions/nakamichi

£600 now, brand noo. So you'd be looking at a couple 100£ loss if/when you move it on.

Just hook up four of the six channels.

Have to confess I've been vaguely wondering about a big(ger) amp ... my 130wpc Restek seems to do the job, but morer is betterer, right?
    If the Nak was still at £400 I'd probably get one.

I tried one of those Sanders Magtech amps a few years back (see previous post), but a bit too much of a smoothie for my tastes.
    Last edited by jandl100; 20-08-2015 at 08:19.

I'm Richard.

ABD.

I'm gone.

or this 200wpc Vincent for £1k http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/morein...=28320&offset=
    It is an integrated, though.

I'm Seppi.

What about the NAD 208?

From memory it had not just the current but loads if power at two ohms.

Edit

http://nadelectronics.com/download.p...er%20Amplifier
    Last edited by shevans; 20-08-2015 at 12:57. Reason: Added link

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Apogees as I remember, 'featured' hideously low impedance loads - down to 2 ohms or less over much of the range - and so this will rule out 95% of all domestic amps IMO!

OK, BORING, but you need to look at Krell first, as these were designed for these sort of loads, and in conjunction with ARC preamps, became a sort of US equivalent to Linn and Naim for a few years in the 80's and 90's. A good friend and one-time colleague had some Duetta Signatures with a KSA80 for years and it was wonderful - he's now got huge Martin Logan's and a D'Agostino integrated... I once sold a Krell FPB300 and it was awesome, but the FPB 400 may well be around your budget now. KSA80's go for £1500 or so and sound really good into all sorts of speakers. Older Krells run VERY hot, so big service bills aren't uncommon - the KSA 'S' series onwards

Classic large Levinson (pre bling) should be looked at too. I can't remember the models, but the early 90's black boxes were superb and judged better than many Krells of the period 'by those that know' (I don't!). Into some power hungry Maggies, I was able to compare the smaller stereo black box to the larger one (ML28 preamp) and the bigger one allowed far more scale and image size in all planes.

Looking at pro amps for a minute, lots of power houses there, but I have little idea as to how they'd drive an Apogee style load..
    My Apogee Scintillas used, as above, Krell KSA 80 units with success into what I was told was a 1.7 ohm load. Sometimes 4 x KMA monoblocks. Have you considered bridged Crown DC300a units? Allegedly, short of outright vandalism, indestructible.

I'm jp.

To be fair to my Krell ksa50 that I remarked sounded "flat as a witches tit" it is now sounding much better after a thorough service but is still a little dark sounding. I own Apogee calliper signatures so have a reasonable understanding of what works.

The instant reaction to apogee a is that they are a fearsome load, not so in the later signature editions that are 4 ohm nominal and drop to 3.2 ohm. Far easier than the early stuff which was 1-2 ohm and only a Krell would drive them.

Now Justin does like loud and a fair bit of hard fast bass from dance music so his quest I suspect is more about bass control and headroom for dynamics.

My thoughts are that you really need to go active to get better control of the bass ribbons and benefit from the better efficiency from the mid/treble ribbon.

I'm gone.

My Krell KSA50 mk1 was a bit flat and lifeless, too. And that had been recently serviced. I think it's just the nature of the beast. A tad on the Pipe&Slippers side of life - some folks will love what it does, others will demur.

And based on my observations of hearing a range of amplifiers with Justin's 4 ohm Apogees, past and present - they are still a bit of a bastard to drive!

I'm Justin.

That KSA50 sounded great plugged into the M&Ds with the ARC LS26 preamp I seem to remember.

Anyway too busy to comment will do over the w/e.
    Last edited by User211; 21-08-2015 at 14:39.

I'm Josie.

I'd recommend Chord. Superb amps with plenty of guts.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast