+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few pics

I'm Shaun.

Default A few pics

I've been doing some commercial flower photography, let me know what you think...???

This is the kind of stuff I sell in my gallery in Pickering when I can get people through the door...!!!

Great! how did you cut them out (mask) so well?

Dave

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
    Great! how did you cut them out (mask) so well?

Dave
    Hello Dave, you know I've always wanted to say that in a HAL9000 voice, there is no cutting out and no masking. Everything is done using studio flashes and Photoshop.

Kat, from the other post, is my step daughter and is just about to join the big wide World for the first time and leave home. I wish her every success and happiness and of course safety. She is in Malton... Claudia Lawrence territory.

I'm Neil.

Hi Shaun

Hope you don't mind, but being constructive. I think the composition is a little weak, and there is to much white, and not enough of the flowers/plants. The white background is a nice neutral way of drawing the eye to, and highlighting the beauty of the subject matter, but the subject matter seems to me, IMHO to be lacking impact and detail. You may have intended this of course, but again IMHO there is not enough impact in the imagesfor me.

I like the other Graphic items you posted elsewhere...the white background works there and highlights the image and allows a nice neutral place for the graphics.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Shaun.

Davros, white space is critical and crucial to any graphic arrangement and any page layout manual will tell you this. The above photographs were very definitely intended to look the way they do. The above photographs not only use critical white space, they also follow the basic rules of composition and thirds. Each photograph is printed onto fine art cotton fibre paper and bounded with a thin black line, again to add a graphic aspect to the image. The mount is matt white with the frame being a chunky black gloss type. Each image is twenty by sixteen with a four inch mount.
    Last edited by Haselsh1; 24-09-2009 at 15:30. Reason: Spelling mistake

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Davros, white space is critical and crucial to any graphic arrangement and any page layout manual will tell you this. The above photographs were very definitely intended to look the way they do. The above photographs not only use critical white space, they also follow the basic rules of composition and thirds. Each photograph is printed onto fine art cotton fibre paper and bounded with a thin black line, again to add a graphic aspect to the image. The mount is matt white with the frame being a chunky black gloss type. Each image is twenty by sixteen with a four inch mount.
    Sorry Shaun

I am aware of the rules and technical things you state, having spent 4 years at art college. However, and it is only in my opinion I feel your other photos on your site and that you have posted on AOS are more successful than these images. You asked what we thought and this is what I think. Art is in the eye of the beholder, like music it is subjective.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Smile

Open the Pod Bay doors Hall............... If Kat wants to help on our stand, she would be most welcome, just teach her about Class A and phonostages first please..............

The background is so white, 0000 on CMYK a 253.253,253 on RGB. I guess the flash made the white backdrop very white indeed. They are simply outstanding!

Regards

Dave

I'm Confused.

Hi Guys,
    Just my two penn'orth:
    My views align more with Dave than Neil - beautiful pics Shaun. Full of impact, nothing to detract the eye from the subject, more the reverse, the eye is drawn to the subject 'cos there's nowt else to look at. I'll take any that don't make it onto your gallery wall, instead of putting them in the bin .
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
    Open the Pod Bay doors Hall............... If Kat wants to help on our stand, she would be most welcome, just teach her about Class A and phonostages first please..............

The background is so white, 0000 on CMYK a 253.253,253 on RGB. I guess the flash made the white backdrop very white indeed. They are simply outstanding!

Regards

Dave
    Dave, the background is a white projector screen which is flashed by two flash heads. The subject is lit by two more flash heads using white translucent brollies. I'm absolutely sure I don't need to tell anyone how reflective a projector screen is.

Many thanks for all of your comments.

Wink

Clever, never thought of that!

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it. My PO Box number has always been 2001 in honour of the film 2001. In 1991 I went to Sri Lanka specifically to visit Arthur C Clarke, wonderful man he was................

Regards

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast