+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you remove marks from a plastic dust cover ?

I'm Neil.

Default How do you remove marks from a plastic dust cover ?

Hi guys

Just picked up a lid/dust cover for a Revox A77. As you would expect for its age about 30 to 40 years the lid is a bit marked. Does anyone know how to polish out such marks and what to use to do it ? This info would also be of use/benefit to those who have TT's with lids in a similar state.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm David.

I used to use brasso metal polish to remove scratches from a plastic watch face I had! That was recomended to me by a watch maker. It was very effective...

I'm Ralph.

Brasso eh, new one on me I'll give that try.

My 1210s' biggest failing is the lid, cheap and nasty doesn't get close to describing it, every time a look at it the bloody thing has another mark on it. Anyway I tried some stuff from Halfords called "Fenwick's superior Windowize" which claims to be a 'scratch remover for plastic acrylic windows'.
    Oh No It Isn't
    They should have called this stuff 'Scratch 'n Haze' would have been much nearer the truth, seriously don't use it, it's crap.
    If the Brasso don't work I'll take some wire wool to it and try and give it an artistic 'frosted' look.

I'm Dave.

No, don't do that. There are cleaners and polishes which are very effective, I've seen them used. Trouble is, I don't know what they are called but I'm certain that someone on here does.

DSJR where are you ?

I'm ChrisB.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Looks interesting..thanks Chris.

Any other suggestions...that a member has 100% successful personal experience with.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Looks interesting..thanks Chris.

Any other suggestions...that a member has 100% successful personal experience with.

Regards D S D L
    hi neil,
    if its acrylic and its quite badly scratched then use T cut for metal car paint finnishes, if its realy badly scratched then use the regular T cut first to get most out, then finnish off with the less abrasive metal car paint version.
    hope this helps, and yes i have used this method many many times as the soul and soul-mate covers are all made from acrylic.
    regards,anthony,TD...

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    hi neil,
    if its acrylic and its quite badly scratched then use T cut for metal car paint finnishes, if its realy badly scratched then use the regular T cut first to get most out, then finnish off with the less abrasive metal car paint version.
    hope this helps, and yes i have used this method many many times as the soul and soul-mate covers are all made from acrylic.
    regards,anthony,TD...
    Thanks Anthony.

To be honest I don't know what its made from. Its a cover for a Revox A77 R to R so its 1960's to 1970's don't know which It could be perspex but I doubt it. Anyone know ?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Thanks Anthony.

To be honest I don't know what its made from. Its a cover for a Revox A77 R to R so its 1960's to 1970's don't know which It could be perspex but I doubt it. Anyone know ?

Regards D S D L
    hi neil,
    if its perspex thats fine.
    A...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hi Neil,

Just try Brasso (liquid) or either Brasso or Duraglit polishing wadding. BUT first try any of them on a small part of the lid/cover that doesn't show, just in case they are too aggressive. They ought not to be, but better safe than sorry. Well wetted toothpaste can also work, but again try out on a small area first.

Afterwards give a good polish with Mr Sheen.

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast