+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling All Upgraded Technics Owners

Default Calling All Upgraded Technics Owners

I have read all the posts about the improvement upgrading your Technics 1200 series will provide. And all the heated discussions it has caused and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I for one would love to be able to compare my current number 1 table, Pro-Ject Perspective with 9 cc Carbon Fiber arm, with an upgraded Technics, I have two Technics which are both stock standard, a nice SL1700 and a SL 1200 Mk2.

So I think I have a way of settling this.

Why don't all those with upgraded Technics 1200's post what upgrades they have and what turntable it replaced, carts included.

This way we have a sort of yard stick as to what is better than what.

My standard Pro-Ject Perspective easily beats out my standard Technics tables.

I am really considering upgrading the SL 1200 Mk2 with a Timestep PSU and a Jelco Arm, probably the feet as well.

If these improvement would let my SL 1200 Mk 2 surpass my Pro-Ject then I would have no problem selling it, I got it for a song anyway and may even make a profit.

So lets hear it folks what did you do to your Technics and what did it replace and how much better does it sound?
    Phillip.

Records... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the turntable Perspective. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new records, to seek out new artists and new sounds, to boldly go where no hyper elliptical diamond stylus has gone before!

Polk Audio SDA 1C + Yamaha C4 / M2 + Custom Made DIY Phono Stage + Pro-Ject Perspective + Pro-Ject Speed Box II + Benz Micro Ace = Magic.

I'm Steve.

Interesting idea - someone would need to maintain a list / spreadsheet with what / better than what.

I have tried to be consistent in comparing decks - where possible using the same arm / cart / phonostage. I think chaning more than one item make it very hard to say that is the character of a deck coming through. Particularly if you have not tried a deck extensively with lots of alternatives before.

1st deck was a Rega P3 with A.O modded RB250 arm (initially with Blue point special cart but also with AT 33 PTG)

Then came the technics SL-1210 with custom built external Traffo and DIY PSU.
    I put the Rega arm on this this with AT 33 PTG. Also I found Foculpod feet over the standard ones to improve cohesiveness of the music. Not a huge amount but worthwhile.
    Big step up from the P3. Bass grip and timing improvements.

Then I put a Terminator parallel tracking arm on with 33 PTG. This was a consdierable improvement over the Rega arm in dynamics and detail.

Then I ran a Pioneer PL-71 for a while. Bought as Gromit and other enthused so much about it - I must say it is very good at boogie / nice to look at IMHO. I also tried the parallel arm on the PL-71 - close run thing with the PL-71 arm - slightly different presentation but not worse or better really.

Then I put the PL-71 arm & mat on the SL-1210. This gave the performance similar boggie factor to the PL-71 deck/arm. The SL-1210 has even better pitch stability than the Pl-71 deck. Perhaps that is what adds to the bass grip but also I detected a clarity and forwardness I'd not heard/noticed on the PL-71. The PL-71 mat is a great thing. Quite a lot better than a regular Funk Achromat IMO. Not tried anymore exotic mats.

That's my lot so far

I do like to change TT configs and re-discover / check differences. I expect to put the PL-71 arm back on the PL-71 (10 min job) sometime perhaps weekend after next.
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 22-09-2009 at 11:45. Reason: Forgot the feet!
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm David.

Sl1210 with 0c9, timestep, weight and the mat from my old roxsan. Easily beats old roksan xexces with oc9 and tabriz arm... Easily! I have only listened to one cd sinc I got the 1210 4-5 weeks ago(?)
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Jason.

My Tecchie replaced a fruitbox - Linn LP12 from around 1990, originally Ittok/Valhalla then Origin Live DC with OL250 arm. The Technics, with a modded standard arm (rewire by Audio Origami, KAB fluid damper, Sumiko headshell and brass counterweight), mat from SoundHiFi and no other mods easily matches and in some areas definitely exceeds the Linn. I'm running a nuded DL103 at the moment, I'd really like to get an OC9 but funds won't allow.

I'm happy with the 1200, as it's great as is (once rewired and re-headshelled - a relatively cheap undertaking) and can be upgraded for sensible money. When I'm flush I'll go the TimeStep/Jelco or SME route, but I'm more than happy till then. And I don't have to constantly worry that it isn't fettled right, or I haven't made the right invocation that morning, or Jupiter was aligned with Mars - you know, the standard Linn stuff.

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Ralph.

Same here, my 1210 took over from an LP12 circa 1990(pre Cirkus) with a 'geddon psu and a 'stop gap' RB300 which stayed in place for about 17 years. To be fair it had been pretty obvious for ages that all was not well with the Linn but for less than the price of putting a new Aro or Ekos on it I took a punt on the Techie with the TimeStep psu, SME309, Herbies' (Sound HiFi) mat, Isonoe feet and a DL103 (now Zu) so hardly a cheap option but compared to the Linn upgrades a veritable bargain.
    Straight out the box it was obvious this was something very special and 6 months down the line this combo still surprises and delights with new insights into lps I thought I knew inside out.
    For once all the stuff you read in the press and on the web isn't just hype, it's the real deal and the beauty is you can upgrade one step at a time (geddit) and just be amazed at how good the Technics actually is.

Cheers

Hi Hypnotoad (futurama rocks)

My 12 is kab psu'ed with a sds isoplatmat. Transfi terminator and ATOC-9

replaces a Hr psu'ed Gyro with Orbe platter upgrade, trans fi evolution arm and DL304

Aside from cost, I can't personally single out in what ways the 12 is better than the Gorbe (maybe it's too many)
    I did find that the arm/cart combo knocked all previous tinkerings into a cocked titfer though

Few people give up on their modded 12's. In this box swapping world i think that's quite an acheivement
    ---------------------------------------------------
    recovering audioholic

Technics: SL 1210 mk2 / KAB PS1200 psu /Trans-fi Terminator / AT-OC9MLII / WD ph3s /Bluesound node 2i/Musical Fidelity Ms3i/ WADkit 6550 / Tannoy revolution xt8f

Gareth.

Smile

OK, my Technics sits in a wood plinth, has a SME V with Shelter 501. Used it for about 3 hours today, lovely......

Regards

Dave

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Looks fab, Dave!

Where's the plinth from?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I have 3 in stock, solid wood!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
    I am really considering upgrading the SL 1200 Mk2 with a Timestep PSU and a Jelco Arm, probably the feet as well.
    Hey Hypnotoad, you must be the same guy over on audiokarma, eh?

I have an almost fully kab modded 1200MK5, some of the smaller tweaks I dont have, yet. I went with a bone stock and added mods one at a time so I could get an idea of how they may change what I'm hearing. Of course after 2 or 3 major mods, other mods that follow may be affected by the first mods too

I noticed you're from Texas, I'm really curious why you would consider a timestep vs a kab power supply? I can understand if you're overseas, but it'd be a heckuva lot cheaper here, and Kevin's a super nice guy and can answer any questions you have without being defensive I tried both and found no discernable differences, IME. Maybe it's something you read? Marco (above) has tried both too, but with different results.
    J

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast