+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: balanced phono to pre amp problem

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    Answer is possibly about halfway down the page-paragraph starting "Recall I had mentioned....."

http://www.originlive.com/tonearm-re...-feedback.html
    The link doesn't work.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

worked for me Barry
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Think this is the appropriate paragraph

Recall I had mentioned that Origin Live utilized a unique lead-out cable. They allude to its superiority on their site, but give no details. It turns out that, while 99% of the phono cables out there use twisted pairs, spirals, or braids, OL uses co-ax—that is, the outer screen carries one leg of the circuit. Baker made that choice, like every other aspect of his design, for purely sonic reasons. With a single-ended (RCA) input phono stage, the screen helps lower the noise floor by taking RFI to ground. With the balanced input Aqvox, the screen became an antenna. Ooops. There was an easy fix—I wrapped the cables with foil, and connected that to the Aqvox ground post, and Rush retreated to his rat-hole. Ugly, but the sound was now excellent—the cable is indeed quite fine—but Baker asked that I return the tonearm so he could be sure nothing internal was amiss.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    worked for me Barry
    Nope, I've tried four times. Can you 'copy and paste' the relevant part for me please Grant?

Thanks
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Nope, I've tried four times. Can you 'copy and paste' the relevant part for me please Grant?

Thanks
    Barry
    i did
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

i did
    Thanks.

What I need to know now is the input connectors used on the phonostage. If RCA phono, used in a 'balanced' configuration, i.e. the outer is insulated from the metalwork of the case, then that might explain the problem.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

next couple of paragraphs if of any help

What I heard was not just Rubinstein; Rush Limbaugh was carrying on about feminazis, li'bruls, and how well the war was going, despite what the drive-by media keeps putting on the 6 o'clock. Talk about RFI hell. It took a few emails back and forth across the Atlantic to figure out what was going on. It was mid-summer here in the desert, and to beat the heat I had replaced my Herron tube phono stage with the solid-state Aqvox II CI, largely on the recommendation of PFO colleague John Zurek (here is a link to his PFO review). While I can enthusiastically second everything he wrote about it, due to the unique circuit design and RCA to XLR adaptors, it is fussy about the phono cabling. On the Aqvox site there is a list of tonearms that have checked out fine with their system. Stock Regas are not suitable (no separate ground lead) but rewired ones are—my Incognito rewired RB250 had not had any problems at all. Just about every other tonearm imaginable makes the OK-list—except Origin Live.

Recall I had mentioned that Origin Live utilized a unique lead-out cable. They allude to its superiority on their site, but give no details. It turns out that, while 99% of the phono cables out there use twisted pairs, spirals, or braids, OL uses co-ax—that is, the outer screen carries one leg of the circuit. Baker made that choice, like every other aspect of his design, for purely sonic reasons. With a single-ended (RCA) input phono stage, the screen helps lower the noise floor by taking RFI to ground. With the balanced input Aqvox, the screen became an antenna. Ooops. There was an easy fix—I wrapped the cables with foil, and connected that to the Aqvox ground post, and Rush retreated to his rat-hole. Ugly, but the sound was now excellent—the cable is indeed quite fine—but Baker asked that I return the tonearm so he could be sure nothing internal was amiss.

Not long after that, another wooden box arrived from OL, another Illustrious with of all things, a standard 5 pin "DIN" socket in the arm pillar, and a DIN to XLR cable. These options were not on the OL web-site before I managed to get Mark at OL and Norman at Aqvox equally exasperated, but they are available now. So, if you want to put a Kimber or Hovland (I am blessed with both) or whatever cable on an Origin Live arm, you can do so. Conversely, if you have known or possible RFI problems and/or a single ended (RCA plugs) system, the stock OL co-ax will be just the ticket. One of the advantages of small-firm sourced products is flexibility in meeting customer needs. Assuming the substitute OL cable was a one-off accommodation and not a standard item, most of my listening with the Illustrious and Aqvox was done with the very fine Xaus Phono from Zu Cables, terminated by those kind folks exactly as recommended by Aqvox. Come the cooler months, I switched back to the single-ended, tube-based Herron Audio gear with the Kimber and Hovland cables. Brilliant!
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

next couple of paragraphs if of any help

What I heard was not just Rubinstein; Rush Limbaugh was carrying on about feminazis, li'bruls, and how well the war was going, despite what the drive-by media keeps putting on the 6 o'clock. Talk about RFI hell. It took a few emails back and forth across the Atlantic to figure out what was going on. It was mid-summer here in the desert, and to beat the heat I had replaced my Herron tube phono stage with the solid-state Aqvox II CI, largely on the recommendation of PFO colleague John Zurek (here is a link to his PFO review). While I can enthusiastically second everything he wrote about it, due to the unique circuit design and RCA to XLR adaptors, it is fussy about the phono cabling. On the Aqvox site there is a list of tonearms that have checked out fine with their system. Stock Regas are not suitable (no separate ground lead) but rewired ones are—my Incognito rewired RB250 had not had any problems at all. Just about every other tonearm imaginable makes the OK-list—except Origin Live.

Not long after that, another wooden box arrived from OL, another Illustrious with of all things, a standard 5 pin "DIN" socket in the arm pillar, and a DIN to XLR cable. These options were not on the OL web-site before I managed to get Mark at OL and Norman at Aqvox equally exasperated, but they are available now. So, if you want to put a Kimber or Hovland (I am blessed with both) or whatever cable on an Origin Live arm, you can do so. Conversely, if you have known or possible RFI problems and/or a single ended (RCA plugs) system, the stock OL co-ax will be just the ticket. One of the advantages of small-firm sourced products is flexibility in meeting customer needs. Assuming the substitute OL cable was a one-off accommodation and not a standard item, most of my listening with the Illustrious and Aqvox was done with the very fine Xaus Phono from Zu Cables, terminated by those kind folks exactly as recommended by Aqvox. Come the cooler months, I switched back to the single-ended, tube-based Herron Audio gear with the Kimber and Hovland cables. Brilliant!
    Well that explains matters.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Dunno I only look at the pictures
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Charlie, can you check to see if the tonearm earth wire is not connected to the screen of either signal lead.
    hi tester not working,will do that tomorow,thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast