+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best SQ Hendrix CD?

I'm Andrew.

Default Best SQ Hendrix CD?

I'm getting right back into my Jimi Hendrix here folks.
    I find myself wondering if there are any CDs that have above average sound quality.

Any of you fine people have any I might check out please?

I'm Dan.

Hi Andy,

I suppose the Japanese masters are the ones to look out for grant has one in his CD's for sale thread.
    Bi Amplification
    Quad 33 with current Mod for CD
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Hi Andy,

I suppose the Japanese masters are the ones to look out for grant has one in his CD's for sale thread.
    had yes...its sold...sound on that one was excellent.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Just yesterday someone recommended to me a 'live at the BBC' CD - not sure exactly what it is called - but apparantly it is outstanding both in quality of sound and performance.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Just yesterday someone recommended to me a 'live at the BBC' CD - not sure exactly what it is called - but apparantly it is outstanding both in quality of sound and performance.
    Probably this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jimi-Hendr...item463ec186f4

I'm Jostein.

Here is a long discussion on this:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...ix-cds.306433/
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've got a lot of Hendrix on CD and original vinyl and the vast majority of it is pants for recording quality. Music content is 100% but then I am a fan.

I have the BBC recordings and they are about as dire as you can possibly get. Interesting stuff but the recordings are truly naff.

I'm Andrew.

I have a great live set that purports to be his last. Sq is dreadful but the music comes through intact and is probably my favourite of the live stuff.
    It would be nice to find just one with decent sound to match the maestro at work.

I'm Anthony.

I have all the experience Hendrix digital re-masters and they are truly appalling sound wise.
    Although the album Blues is probably the best sounding by far.
    Our education is wrong, it takes no note of the subtleties of human nature, it places more importance on the memory of an individual than how memorable an individual is. Bernard Sumner 1995

I'm Chris.

There is quite some history to SQ with Hendrix recordings. He was unhappy for instance with Axis Bold as Love, but partly blamed
    on himself leaving the master tape in the back of a taxi, and a second mix being done, then not being happy with that.

He was always working toward having some input into recording process, hence Electric Ladyland studios, sadly only just nearing
    completion prior to his passing..

The popular live concert at the Albert Hall has two taping sources, one from a film production by Gold and Goldstein that has never
    been released fully and is outstanding in sound quality, and the other not as good. If you are lucky to have either LP or CD ( me both )
    of In the West Voodoo Chile and Little Wing are both taken from this much better source, explained misleadingly on the covers as San Deigo concerts
    but actually Albert Hall London Feb 18 and 24th 1969.

The best SQ IMO is on Red House San Deigo concert, from In the West early and later CD's
    Stone free Fillmore East on CD ( really good )
    Johnny Be Goode In the West
    Lover man In the West
    Little Wing In the West LP and early CD
    Hear My Train a Comin from Blues, and now Rainbow Bridge

studio Albums with good SQ Electric Ladyland
    Rainbow Bridge ( now reissued per original LP on CD )
    First Rays of the New Rising Sun

Hendrix was lucky to have the dedication of Eddie Kramer recording engineer, pictured here
    patiently working on a mix. Hendrix being fastidious with getting the right sound on tape.

Hendrix having ability to play pieces backwards live, then asking the engineer having taped it to play
    the piece backwards, to everyone's astonishment the piece being a perfect rendition as if played normally
    Other feats being ambidextrous, able to play right handed or left. The usual being left handed and
    stringing a right handed Fender Stratocaster upside down, due to Left hand models not keeping up
    with production, or how quickly they were destroyed. The Monterey guitar burn't last known to
    be with Frank Zappa, of course now his estate.
    Hendrix-At-Electric-Lady.jpg
    Cheers / Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast