+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technics SL-1200/10 record weights / clamps

I'm Nigel.

Default Technics SL-1200/10 record weights / clamps

What's the consensus of opinion regarding using record weights / clamps with the Technics SL-1200 / 1210 ? I see KAB sell a Revolver Pig type replacement which only weighs a few grammes, this looks one of the cheaper options. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Nigel

Smile

I still like the one I use/sell.

I have seen other modifiers use it too.

Regards

Dave

I'm David.

mine seems to effect the bass the most. i fear the positoning of my tt isnt ideal, that combined with the less than ideal postion of my speakers seems to sometimes make the bass a touch ott, the weight seems to lessen it slightly....
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Neal.

I've not tried a clamp/weight on a 1200 but from my experience on other decks they only seem to work with decks designed for them IMHO IE: the Michell Gyro. YMMV though...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm David.

peter (stockwell), who i bought my weight off, said he felt it deadend the music a bit too much on his 1210... as i said before, in my situation, this is maybe a slight advantage... maybe its a trial and error thing, is there any dealers that would offer a try before you buy on one??
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

With the weight I get tighter, faster bass, honest! Marco???

Dave

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I have a screw on clamp on my pro-ject, and I definitely feel it tightens the sound - I would be worried that adding a weight to a turntable that was designed to run a certain weight might damage the bearings etc? Presumably not, Dave Cawley - how heavy is your weight? (is it a weight, or a clamp - your website mentions both - to my mind they are different, the former relying on mass, rather than a mechanical lock of the latter? This is no "authoratitive opinion" - just an amateur guess! And I'm not trying to be a smart arse, either!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

It's a weight, about 1/2kg

Dave

I'm Steve.

good point - not tried the weight on my SL-1210. Must address that.
    On the PL-71 I too felt ~0.5kg deadens the sound. To translate that: notes don't trip off the piano with the same finesse or lightness of touch with the weight.
    Thin and light (=poor?) recordings (early Doors, Who etc) can sound better as the clamp gives more deaden/depth and sounds is less tinny.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    What's the consensus of opinion regarding using record weights / clamps with the Technics SL-1200 / 1210 ? I see KAB sell a Revolver Pig type replacement which only weighs a few grammes, this looks one of the cheaper options. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Nigel
    Hi, I've tried a couple of clamps, never tried weights. A while ago, I was playing around with cork mats, spot mats, etc., and so I thought maybe a weight shouldn't be used on these because maybe the mat would depress too much, (well depends on how heavy we're talking). Spot-type mat I was working with probably not a good idea, well it's really not a mat but cork "spots".

I think it might depend on the vinyl too, like warps. I have a very slightly dished LP. If I place it on the platter so the dish is up, meaning the edges are almost off the platter, when I hit the brake on my 1200, it ever so slightly coasts to a stop behind the platter. In this case a clamp would probably help. IME regarding a Technics SL-1200 / 1210, I've read some hear no difference, and some do.
    J

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast