+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference between Monacor SPH-135TC, SPH-135C and SPH-135TC

I'm Richard.

Default Difference between Monacor SPH-135AD, SPH-135C and SPH-135TC

I am looking for potential replacement drivers for the Audax HD13B25H units in my Jim Rogers JR150, as it is increasingly seeming like they are not worth the hassle and expense to repair.

A very helpful vendor on eBay swears that the Monacor SPH-135TC is an excellent choice of drop-in replacement (he also happens to sell these ). Doing some more research into this I see that Monacor make three versions of this driver, the SPH-135AD, SPH-135TC and SPH-135C. Wilmslow Audio stock the AD and C variants (but not the TC) and recommend the AD as an excellent drop in replacement for the KEF B110.

I am left confused as to the differences between the three models, particularly with regards to their suitability for use in my JR150s, and would be grateful for advice from anyone who has experience with the SPH-135 driver?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by ToTo Man; 21-07-2015 at 17:41. Reason: spelling
    Main System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Yamaha A-S3000 > Celestion Ditton 66
    Headphone System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Sparkos Aries / Schiit Mjolnir 2 > Sennheiser HD600

I'm Colin.

The difference between the TC and AD is the TC is a dual voice coil with 85 dB efficiency the Ad is a single voice coil (as your original) with a efficiency of 89dB. The Audax unit was single voice coil with 86dB/1W efficiency. The SHP-135C is a carbon fibre cone speakers where the others and your original are polypropylene or bextrene in the case of the B110.
    So my recommendation is none of the Monacor units. Though the best match to the original drivers is probably the SPH135AD model though it wont be a direct drop in replacement as the frame is slightly larger, so the fixing holes might not match and you'd most likely would have modify the XO to integrate the driver.

If your looking for drop in replacement for the KEF B110 then Jerry at Falcon Acoustics is your man. He sells new manufacture direct replacements made to the original specs http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/dri...lcon-pair.html and if you want matched pairs for a little more money http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/dri...ls35a-ab1.html
    Last edited by Toppsy; 21-07-2015 at 13:38. Reason: Additional information added

I'm Richard.

Thanks but I'm pretty sure the 8 ohm KEF B110 would not be a drop-in replacement for my 16 ohm Audax units without crossover mods.
    Main System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Yamaha A-S3000 > Celestion Ditton 66
    Headphone System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Sparkos Aries / Schiit Mjolnir 2 > Sennheiser HD600

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTo Man View Post
    Thanks but I'm pretty sure the 8 ohm KEF B110 would not be a drop-in replacement for my 16 ohm Audax units without crossover mods.
    Well according to the datasheet that I have for your Audax HD13B25H units they are spec'd at 8-ohms. The pdf copy file is too large to attach so if you want a copy please email me. I would also add the Monacor SPH-135AD is also a 8 -ohm nominal impedance driver. So the original advise given by Wilmslow Audio in that case would not be correct if your driver is indeed 16 ohm. The TC version being dual voice coil is 2 x 8 ohm. So take your choice.
    Last edited by Toppsy; 21-07-2015 at 14:13. Reason: additional text

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppsy View Post
    Well according to the datasheet that I have for your Audax HD13B25H units they are spec'd at 8-ohms. The pdf copy file is too large to attach so if you want a copy please email me. I would also add the Monacor SPH-135AD is also a 8 -ohm nominal impedance driver. So the original advise given by Wilmslow Audio in that case would not be correct if your driver is indeed 16 ohm. The TC version being dual voice coil is 2 x 8 ohm. So take your choice.
    Is this the data sheet?
    http://www.audax.com/archives/HD13B2...gue%201982.pdf

Rogers must have had Audax make him bespoke units as mine are definitely stamped 16 ohms nominal and measure 12 ohms DC.

The AD version does indeed seem unsuitable for my application due to it being 8 ohms only. It also has a more peaky FR and lower Xmax than the TC. So looks like the TC will be the one to go for.

I've emailed Wembley Loudspeakers anyway about the possibility of repairing the surrounds on my Audax drivers but I suspect that will be a more expensive option with no guarantee of success.

I'm Colin.

Yes that's the same datasheet. One can only assume Jim had them specially made to 16 ohm spec as your speakers have 2 x midbass units per speaker to increase bass output. So your midbasses will be wired in parallel to give a nominal 8 ohm load. So if your replacing a single driver this will have to be 16-ohm and not many 5" midbass units around at that impedance and frame shape. You could replace all 4 drivers with 4-ohm units and wire them in series to give same nominal 8-ohm. You'll have to weigh up the cost of replacing all the drivers to what the speakers are worth and take it from there. Otherwise keep an eye on ebay for another pair of speakers that require some TLC but with good working drivers.

I'm Richard.

Otherwise keep an eye on ebay for another pair of speakers that require some TLC but with good working drivers.
    That was my original plan, however it seems the HD13B25H is prone to deterioration with age. I was recently able to source an additional three HD13B25H drivers but frustratingly two of them exhibit the exact same problem as the ones in my JRs!

I'm Colin.

OK in that case if you replace the top or bottom midbass driver in each speaker with the Monacor SPH135TC you can wire the 2 x 8 ohm voice coils in series to make the driver a nominal 16 ohm impedance this can then be wired in parallel with the bottom original 16 ohm driver to give you an overall nominal 8 ohm load. You have to check the frame size on the monacor and the fixing holes PCD to check it will fit. Apart from that repair may be your only option.

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm
    Last edited by Toppsy; 21-07-2015 at 15:17. Reason: spelling error

I'm Richard.

OK in that case if you replace the top or bottom midbass driver in each speaker with the Monacor SPH135TC you can wire the 2 x 8 ohm voice coils in series to make the driver a nominal 16 ohm impedance this can then be wired in parallel with the bottom original 16 ohm driver to give you an overall nominal 8 ohm load. You have to check the frame size on the monacor and the fixing holes PCD to check it will fit. Apart from that repair may be your only option.

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm
    Thanks for the clarification. If I don't get positive news from Wembley on repairing the Audax units then I'll replace all 4 drivers with SPH135TC units.

I'm Richard.

Does anyone know if the Audax HD100D25 tweeters in the JR150 had ferrofluid? I need to order new tweeters and don't know whether to order the version with or without ferrofluid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast