+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sintered cone bearing for 401 (what, more bearings?)

I'm Andrew.

Default Sintered cone bearing for 401 (what, more bearings?)

More than 3 years back (so no longer findable on my ebay history) I purchased an aftermarket bearing upgrade for my 401.

This was in the form of a sintered brass or bronze cylinder with the top machined to a conical point that replaced the original bearing case.

In recent searching of the web I can find no mention of who it was who produced them, or any reviews.

For my part, I feel that it significantly tightened up the bottom end to have a solid base for the spindle to ride on, certainly increased the spin down time over the stock bearing and far more eddy current brake is required, so drag is obviously a lot lower...

I'm now concerned about potential spindle damage having seen the various reports of the base of the spindle being damaged by a range of aftermarket systems. I have yet to pull the old girl open to have a look at the base of the spindle. Aside from a nagging concern I have nothing to actually complain about sound wise.

Can anyone here recall who it was who made these bearings or offer any insight?

Cheers,

Drew

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

The one that springs to mind is the Kokomo bearing, which following reports of "wear" to the spindle has now been updated to a Mk 2 version.

http://www.analogtubeaudio.de/128-1-...01-tweaks.html

I have not tried this so cannot comment on whether it works or not.

There was another version on Ebay that used a soft metal ball bearing (Rather than the Kokomo Ceramic bearing, ....or was it the other way round I can`t remember now)
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Andrew.

Kokomo is now upto v3 if I'm correct and most people still advise against using it. The best thing to do if your on a budget is to send it to martin bastin. The other after market bearings are a bit of an unknown quantity and finding examples of "reviewed" after market bearings is very difficult, purchase at your peril.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Hugo.

Is it this one?

If so, the phosphor bronze is softer than the spindle, so there's no likelihood of the sort of damage mentioned with ceramic bearings.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Is it this one?

If so, the phosphor bronze is softer than the spindle, so there's no likelihood of the sort of damage mentioned with ceramic bearings.
    That looks like the Ebay one I had in mind.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Andrew.

Nope, that one isn't like mine. Mine has no ball, the black cylinder on yours, in mine is sintered bronze and comes to a pint at the height of the ball...

I'm Hugo.

That picture came from a Garrard upgrade thread on HiFi Wigwam

I'm Gone.

I spoke very recently to Brian Mortimer, the man who was in charge of 401 production when chief engineer at Garrard in Swindon and he has such a laugh at people who try to "Improve" on the 401 bearing. As he said to me with the correct oil as developed by ESSO for Garrard an still available from Loricraft, there is no metal to metal contact, just an oil film. The only people Brian recvomends to do work on Garrard bearings is Loricraft and he rates the 501 bearing (same design, tighter tolerances), as the only upgrade.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post
    I spoke very recently to Brian Mortimer, the man who was in charge of 401 production when chief engineer at Garrard in Swindon and he has such a laugh at people who try to "Improve" on the 401 bearing. As he said to me with the correct oil as developed by ESSO for Garrard an still available from Loricraft, there is no metal to metal contact, just an oil film. The only people Brian recvomends to do work on Garrard bearings is Loricraft and he rates the 501 bearing (same design, tighter tolerances), as the only upgrade.
    Spot - on advice. Most after market bearings can (and most do) harm the spindle (try getting a replacement!). I tried one for a short while, checked the spindle and found deposits of the "soft" phosphor-bronze bearing had ground their way into the base of the spindle (in just a few months playing time) so reverted to the standard thrust bearing and used the proper oil, and have forgotton about it now and just use the thing with an occasional check and top up of oil if required. Garrard (Brian) knew what they were doing so I would suggest (as above) that "upgrades" to the bearing are not required.

I'm Andrew.

I think the general consensus of opinion is to leave well alone.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast