+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Tracks Featuring Cheesey Sax Solos

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default Great Tracks Featuring Cheesey Sax Solos

I have to confess to being rather a fan of those overblown sax solos, mainly proliferated in the 80's but examples abound before and since. I want to create a "Supreme Sax Solos" playlist - so, these are a few of my favourites in no particular order - suggestions please for ones I could have forgotten!

Hazel O'Connor - Will You?
    Spandau Ballet - True
    Dire Straits - Your Latest Trick
    Madness - It Must Be Love
    Sade - Smooth Operator
    Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
    Roxy Music - Avalon

Or shall I just shuffle off into the corner and play with my tenor on my own?
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 11-11-2011 at 11:40.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Dan.

Not really a fan, but I can name a few. love that hazel o connor track though...

cheesy:

Pink Floyd - Two Suns In The Sunset
    Supertramp - It's Raining Again
    Duran Duran - Rio
    David Bowie - Modern Love

Not cheesy:

Roxy Music - Remake/Remodel (what a song!)
    Van Der Graaf Generator - A place to survive (also awesome)

loads more that just escape me, oh well....

And of course....

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Dan, you're a genius - that clip is pure quality!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Jason.

Love the clip Dan, even tho' it's a joke it's still good music (Neil Hannon AFAIK)!

Of course, don't forget the de rigeur hifi dem record, Famous Blue Raincoat by Jennifer Warnes on the 'Jenny sings Lenny' album.

I'm with you on that Alex, a good sax solo is a joy to behold. There's some great sax on Terry Callier's TimePeace too.

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
    Love the clip Dan, even tho' it's a joke it's still good music (Neil Hannon AFAIK)!
    Jason
    Indeed, apparently he occasionally plays it live.... that'd be fun to see! Gotta love the divine comedy....

I'm Guy.

This chap has been responsible for a few as a session musician

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Davis

Great live with his own band though

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I have to confess to being rather a fan of those overblown sax solos, mainly proliferated in the 80's but examples abound before and since. I want to create a "Supreme Sax Solos" playlist - so, these are a few of my favourites in no particular order - suggestions please for ones I could have forgotten!
    'Whatever Gets You Through The Night' John Lennon.

I'm Jason.

Wouldn't say it's cheesy (am I drifting here?) but it is one of my fave sax solo based records;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VWDUQElFYE

Bloody brill.

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm ChrisB.

Wouldn't say it's cheesy (am I drifting here?) but it is one of my fave sax solo based records
    Ditto for these two:

One of the most beautifully played sax tracks ever as far as I know...........

Jan Garbarek - 'Mission: To Be Where I Am'
    From 'It's OK to Listen to the Gray Voice'

Also 'Serenity' by The Crusaders - From 'Those Southern Knights'
    Spotify link only I'm afraid!

http://open.spotify.com/track/2VdyV18F7phxKIdKmpQTnJ

............but I'm thinking the sort of stuff you're after is from the Clarence Clemmons school of sax as displayed in stuff like:

I'm ChrisB.

My favourite (non-jazz) sax track, though is Frank Zappa - 'We Are Not Alone'

...........where the lead instrument is a baritone sax - meaty beaty big & bouncy!!

Really though, you should be looking at some of the classic Stax/Volt singles.
    I also seem to remember one of the 'b' - sides from one of the singles from Grease had a cracking sax track on it (might have been - 'You're the one that I want' - not sure)
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 21-09-2009 at 20:07.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast