+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of cable burn-in.

I'm Geoff.

And I'm referring to changes in sound due to introducing other components into a system. Cables or whatever. The perception may be of 'burn in', but you're really just adjusting to the changes in sound caused by the new items.

If you own two systems, you can to an extent prove this. Use one system for a week then switch to the other and it will sound odd or unfamiliar until a few days have gone by. Then it will start sounding as you thought it should. You are adjusting to the change. Switch back to the previous system again after a week and the process starts all over again.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Not so fast. I agree that acclimatisation can account for most cases where burn in is experienced. But not all. I would have been in the twaddle camp until recently when I heard speaker cable burn in. I'm an experienced listener, I know all the pitfalls and I can say quite categorically that it was not acclimatisation. The sound of the cable changed by virtue of running signal through it over time: 'burn in'.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I sense another debate on 'directionality' coming on too. I can feel it in my bones!

Must pop off and demagnetise my mains plug pins and realign all the little supports under my cables. Then order another half dozen Shakti Stones. I need some to put on top of the boxes of components I don't use. Just to keep them 'in tune', so to speak.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm joe.

I can't see that it matters much, unless you foolishly hang on to a cable until the trial period ends, in the forlorn hope that it will 'burn in'. I don't remember anyone ever saying that their cable had 'burned-out', so even in a worst case scenario, you'll end up with a cable that sounds at least as good as it did when new.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not so fast. I agree that acclimatisation can account for most cases where burn in is experienced. But not all. I would have been in the twaddle camp until recently when I heard speaker cable burn in. I'm an experienced listener, I know all the pitfalls and I can say quite categorically that it was not acclimatisation. The sound of the cable changed by virtue of running signal through it over time: 'burn in'.
    So if you acquired a new fresh cable with no signal run through it, you would be able to distinguish the 2 easily in blind testing?

Box13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    And I'm referring to changes in sound due to introducing other components into a system. Cables or whatever. The perception may be of 'burn in', but you're really just adjusting to the changes in sound caused by the new items.

If you own two systems, you can to an extent prove this. Use one system for a week then switch to the other and it will sound odd or unfamiliar until a few days have gone by. Then it will start sounding as you thought it should. You are adjusting to the change. Switch back to the previous system again after a week and the process starts all over again.
    I agree with this theory.
    My feeling is that if something moves, e.g. for example loudspeaker cones, then they can become more flexible with use.
    As cable does not move, what can change after many hours except the listener's expectations?

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Box13 View Post
    I agree with this theory.
    My feeling is that if something moves, e.g. for example loudspeaker cones, then they can become more flexible with use.
    As cable does not move, what can change after many hours except the listener's expectations?
    Well, electrolytic capacitors "burn-in", and they don't move.
    ABD.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Well, electrolytic capacitors "burn-in", and they don't move.
    Yes they do. They get out of the box and have a little dance when you're out of the room.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Exactly. One acclimatises to changes. That's all that happens.
    One new cable, one old cable. New one sounds worse than the old one. Burn it in, swap, and new cable sounds better than old cable. Swap back and old one sounds worse than new burnt in cable. Both Van Damme.
    ABD.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    So if you acquired a new fresh cable with no signal run through it, you would be able to distinguish the 2 easily in blind testing?
    In that particular case I am refering to: yes i'm pretty confident that I could. Confident enough to put money on it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast