+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite album / Favorite track - lets expand our music tastes (mine at least)

I'm David.

Default Favorite album / Favorite track - lets expand our music tastes (mine at least)

I think to an extent this might duplicate other threads, but there is a greater point to this for me at least.
    my tastes are very varied but i think for the most part i probably only know the more main stream stuff and would be interested how i can expand out of that.
    to do that, i hope by listing albums/tracks i love, it might help people, help me?

(this is also bred out of the very happy experience i have had of recently becomeing alot more interested in the music agian (for a while, the hifi interest had taken over a little bit) good old vinyl/1210 is been putting a smile on my face for a good few weeks now!)

anyway...

...i shall start with a good example

a favorite album of mine is 'madman across the water' by elton john
    i like the whole album - every track! but my favorite track is 'holiday inn' i love the really intricate twiddly guitar, the strings, the whole sound... i have no idea what the song is about but it just sounds so happy and is so completly satisfying to listen too!! it sets hairs on end every listen!

so heres the question - knowing what i have just said can anyone else make suggestions on what else i might like?

this is the first of many examples, there is loads of music that i would like more of.
    (dan i know you will be very helpful with this but i cant just ring you everytime i think of something and expect you to remember for next time we see each other)

hopefully this isnt too much of a duplicate to go unnoticed as for me (and hopfully others too) it could become a usefull resource!

cheers for any help
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

ah well somuch for that idea then... dan looks like your still my music guru
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Hamish - I was going to look into a few things - "scrobbling" which I think is some sort of "recommendation engine" - and the itunes "Genius" feature, neither of which I know much about, but I *think* they take tunes you like, and come up with similar or associated suggestions - but, I think they rely on more than one track. Personally, I don't know the album/track from Elton John, so I can't help - I was hoping for a technological cheat!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

Oh, go on then!

I never much went for Elton John, but had an interesting evening listening to some of his older albums a few weeks back.

He used to be in the same bag as Rod Stewart a while back, but somehow, they got separated.
    Lots of folk don't realise what a great rock & blues singer Rod was, way back. One of my favourite albums is The Faces - 'A Nod's as Good as a Wink to a Blind Horse'. It's got some great Rod Stewart stuff on it, but there are also some fantastic songs by Ronnie Lane. My best track from 'A Nod...' is 'Debris' a really touching song about his father.

This isn't the Faces - a shame because the original features some fantastically subtle guitar playing by Ron Wood.

Rod also sang in The Jeff Beck Group
    Led Zeppelin: Year Zero minus one

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Just listened to that track - don't know why, but it made me think "Billy Joel" - not sure if you're a fan of his or not? "The Stranger" might be a good album to try if you don't know it (Spotify have it. "Innocent Man" has a bit of cheese, but still aweome too, IMO)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

Back to early Elton John though, I think he was very influenced by Tim Hardin back then. I've never heard it said, but I just get the idea from the 'feel' of some of his songs.

My best Tim Hardin track -
    'How Can You Hang on to a Dream?'

I'm David.

Alex: have mooched through napsters recommend stuff based on my choices, but I have found the whole experience very tedious and uninspirering! There's nothing like a human recomendation in my books!

Chris: I have Rod Stuarts first 2 albums, much to the dismay of my missis, she doesn't like him at all? That a nod.. Is on m list of albums to buy!

I'm ChrisB.

Holiday Inn reminds me of some of the softer things Lowell George did with Little Feat & on his solo album 'Thanks I'll Eat it Here'

............especially '"20 Million Things To Do'

Can't find a link to it though

I'm David.

Good stuff chris, exactly the sort o comments I was after, I shall investigte!

I'm ChrisB.

y'welcome!

.........I'm jest sitting 'ere waitin' fer the next album/track!!!

(...but give it a while for some other Elton suggestions - I bet Beechy can help you out!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast