+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power amps... Quad etc

I'm Louis.

Default Power amps... Quad etc

Hi,

So I've mentioned before but I'm interested in upgrading my amp, probably venturing into pre/power territory or with a very good integrated.

Still thinking and reading up before parting with ££. would really like to be auditioning but that's not always so easy or even representative.

Out of various amps, such as the new Cambridge Audio 851 W power amp and the Rega Elicit-R I also have been keeping an eye on Quad, new and old.

How would something like:

Quad Elite QMP - 2 x Mono Power Amplifiers stack up against the others I mention above.

QMP mono is a step up, an evolution on from the 909 in bridged mono mode.

Anyone heard or tried them, or even got them? Or a 909 and know if these are noticeably better?

Any advice, experience or opinions on amps would be greatly received actually...

I'm Martin.

Advice will only go so far before you have to get out there and just try some of the damn things. So many amps, so little time.... I've heard the previous iteration of the Cambridge - it was okay but it wasn't the last word in any respect and at £1500 new they are not exactly giving them away. The QUADs I don't know. My recco would be to go for a pre-power with a passive pre since I reckon that gives a taste of proper high end sound without the high end price tag. Quite a lot of inexpensive options out there. The pre-amp is the most important bit of the amplifier chain IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Quad QMP mono blocks are excellent. Right up there with some of the highly rated North American power amps but at a fraction of the cost. If you need a lot of clean power, these should be on your list.

I'm Louis.

Hi,

thanks for the advice so far.

Not the cheapest no, but I think they are very good.

It's just very difficult to try out all these things, let alone in the same settings. And without an A/B test, listening is a bit difficult to judge. I mean I'm sure they _all_ sound pretty good and the biggest factors by far will be everything else if it can't be held exactly the same...

Interested in the QMPs - think they might do my Audes Blues some better justice.

The CA 851W is meant to be a big improvement on predecessors and even the 851 integrated version.

In terms of passive pre - I agree. In fact I shall probably make one.

My thoughts are I'll use phono pre -> passive pre selector / volume to power amp for my hi-fi turntable experience or select another input which will be probably fed from A85 doing all my other digital audio and AV pre-amp duties (that I care about less) - e.g. AV surround sound, Apple TV, Squeezeboxs, DACs etc...

So to the power amp I'll basically select one of 2 sources, turntable 'direct from its phonopreamp) or a normal route via an active pre-amp for everything else.

Think it should work, just need to nail this amp dilemma. Quad QMP monos, Cambridge 851W stereo (to start with) or the Rega Elicit-R are my shortlist items at this stage...

I'm Dave.

Depending on where you are, I can demo Quad and Rega.

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisB View Post
    ....My thoughts are I'll use phono pre -> passive pre selector / volume to power amp for my hi-fi turntable experience or select another input which will be probably fed from A85 doing all my other digital audio and AV pre-amp duties (that I care about less) - e.g. AV surround sound, Apple TV, Squeezeboxs, DACs etc...
    The Nakamichi AVP-1 is worth a punt especially as you're looking at AV too http://stylco-electronics.myshopify....ower-amplifier. Absolute bargain, stacks up well against my Quad 405 mono's (although I'm still in the process of modding them), ultimately I prefer the sound of the 405's but could be argued the Nak's more neutral.

Don't be put off by the low price or the AV credentials very flexible amp especially if considering going active?
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...hlight=halfway
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...654#post655654
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Depending on where you are, I can demo Quad and Rega.
    I'm right down in Sussex, near Brighton. Thanks though, will keep in mind about demos.

I'm Louis.

Interesting idea. The AV for me is secondary. I'd hope all my ££ goes into the 2channel amplification but I dare say that's a decent amp. Nakamichi I remember made a good name for themselves.

Going active is an interesting idea, although I don't really know how it would work. Was is an example of an audiophile active crossover? My speakers are sort of 3-4 way, but have 2 bindings on them, so bi-amp, bi-wire or 2way active is possible.

I'm Louis.

These are the ones I'm wondering about. Difficult to know how they compare with the other amps I mention.
    How heavy are they, on the spec it seems to say N/A which says to me, extremely, if you need to ask you don't want them...
    Would I need a reinforced rack and floorboards to accommodate a pair of these monsters?

+ Reply to Thread