Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ‘Little Bear’ Moving Coil Step Up Preamplifier T8-1

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    More likely a 2SK184 jfet.
    Thanks Nick.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Have had one of these for some time but never got round to trying it. So with the sony having a decent mm stage i decided to give it a whirl.
    First i payed a side of the wallflower album on my mc section of the mani then connected up the bear .... 1st problem was a bit of hum and this unit doesnt have an earth post...hmmm. Managed to put tt earth under one of the rca s and that got rid of most of it and moving it around most of the rest to an acceptable level.
    Replayed record and it sounded quite good. Not at the level of the mani by a bit but acceptably listenable to and for 20 quid a good option on a budget when running a mc cart. It was clean and lucid in its presentation although lacked a bit of drive and sparkle.
    Could live with it if needed to but not on a par with the little man
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

I've just gone and bought one of these little phonostages, mainly for a little fun and also for experimental purposes.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I've just gone and bought one of these little phonostages, mainly for a little fun and also for experimental purposes.
    I kinda fancy doing mine up and see how far I can take it without spending hundreds. Reckon just changing the caps and some resisters would be enough, although a complete external psu could be fed into it if one wanted to.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

i have the same plans Grant, probably spend a little time getting to learn it's "house" sound and then start to modify. Any thoughts on how yours sounds?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Grant.

Its pretty good tbh, but lacking maybe a little punch, but that could come up with better componets. although a simple design, It could be a winner. Still fancy an offboard psu would be good. just have to byepass the rectification section perhaps. some shielding, a earth post and maybe fit it in another box. a minimum of 30/40 first way, or maybe 120 the second but it may well raise it. would likely try the cheap way first and see if it did improve.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    a minimum of 30/40 first way, or maybe 120 the second but it may well raise it. would likely try the cheap way first and see if it did improve.
    ? What ? You been on the single malt ? I've got the Ankaka PSU so may choose use that as a decent external PSU. Adding an additional earth should be easy do, probably something you could buy a couple of quid and then simply drill into the case?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Grant.

Caps will cost a good few quid for decent ones...there are 8 in there.. thats why I said 30/40..... if you then wanted to go nuts you could go to next stage.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Ah I see. You could indeed spend lots of money, but for me its just a bit of fun. I'm not going to be spending loads on it. I also just ordered a little bear valve pre amp for <Ł30.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Grant.

Ordered some parts from RS.. less than a tenner all in, so well will see if it improves it any b4 I do anymore thinking.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast