+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stylus Tracking Force Gauge

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

...or to use the popular bent credit card method where the main area of the card sits on the scales with a section of card overhanging the plate to the side onto which you rest the stylus.
    Yup, that's what I do - it's undoubtedly the best way

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Clive.

Here's what I lashed up, 2 pieces of plastic card, double sided tape and its setup to weigh at record height.

I'm Confused.

Question

Clive,
    If I surmise correctly how your device works I have the following question.
    A long, long time ago I studied at a very basic level the subject of Mechanical Engineering and I seem to recall the force magnifying and reducing effects of levers. Is there any danger with your set up that applying the force in one place and measuring it somewhere else could be influenced by this lever effect?
    Are there any proper Mechanical Engineers amongst us that could comment authoratively?
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Clive.

Dave,

A 1p should weigh 3.56g, a 2p 7.12g.

My scales over a few samples come in at 3.54g and 7.10g respectively so maybe it shows 0.02 light.

I have a 50g calibration weight that does read 50.00g but also varies between 49.99 and 50.02 due to it bending the plastic.

Theory's all well and good but there's nowt like a practical test!

Clive

I'm Confused.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Dave,

A 1p should weigh 3.56g, a 2p 7.12g.

My scales over a few samples come in at 3.54g and 7.10g respectively so maybe it shows 0.02 light.

I have a 50g calibration weight that does read 50.00g but also varies between 49.99 and 50.02 due to it bending the plastic.

Theory's all well and good but there's nowt like a practical test!

Clive
    Hi Clive,
    Well that puts that to bed nicely then - theories are a fine 'seed' for practice, full stop.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Ralph.

I was going to post earlier about using a 2p coin as a callibration weight, a new one should be exactly one quarter of an ounce, but decided against it as admitting such knowledge may lead to embarrasing questions

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Well thanks all for adding your 3.56g worth!

That is very useful though, for calibrating, cheers.
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 17-09-2009 at 21:59.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

On US ebay a few days ago, there was the old AR stylus pressure gauge for the old XA turntable and arm. brilliant it was - plastic moulded scale with accurate and consistant weights and accurate to 1.4 gramme as I don't remember an 1/8 gramme weight. Good enough for most cartridges out there..

They'll probably charge a small fortune for it, but the little Ortofon balance is very accurate too. I mean, if Naim use it for the ARO then it must be good
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Blake.

For between $50-$70, the Canrong scale (marketed by Origin Live, Acoustech, etc. at much higher prices) is a bargain IMO.

It is definitely non-magnetic, deadly accurate to within .007 gram (as confirmed by my wife who is a research technician and tested it against some very sophisticated lab scales for me) and has a weigh platform that very closely approximates the height of an LP (it is just a touch higher so best to set tracking force approximately .020-.040 higher when you set tracking weight using the scale) and can be easily used right on the platter without doing credit card tricks etc to approximate the height of an LP on the platter itself (which is critically important).

The stock batteries which came with mine were garbage, but replacement batteries lasted well into the 2 year range before crapping out.

I'm Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    They'll probably charge a small fortune for it, but the little Ortofon balance is very accurate too. I mean, if Naim use it for the ARO then it must be good
    That is probably the most naive and in consequence ignorant statement I've read from a dealer in a long time. Why do you think that if Naim rate it it is good? Get real!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast