+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting take on Ringo Starr

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    The very thought.

The worrying thing is that I realise I have two Cliff tracks in my collection

I can't remember ever playing them so how did they sneak in?

Yikes, I just checked and there are six!!! It must be a conspiracy, perhaps they reproduce asexually (well, it is Cliff)
    Move It is a great song and recording!
    Unfortunately things went downhill quickly afterwards, and Cliff bowed to the experienced opinion of his manager and also of his record producer, and started to make the transition into being a variety performer, because this Rock and Roll thing was just a fad
    There are a few decent tunes along the way, Devil Woman and Carrie immediately springing to mind, and The Cliff Richard Band were all top notch players and were all very highly regarded, both as individual musicians and as The Cliff Richard Band as a whole.

I think you're giving Cliff a hard time, and I don't understand why

Before you ask, I don't have any Cliff stuff in my collection, but I have always had a quiet regard for some of his music.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Unfortunately things went downhill quickly afterwards, and Cliff bowed to the experienced opinion of his manager and also of his record producer, and started to make the transition into being a variety performer, because this Rock and Roll thing was just a fad
    And to be fair to his manager/producer, this was received wisdom at the time. Elvis, Buddy Holly and other 'rockers' were moving into ballads at the same time as Cliff. That was also why Decca turned down the Beatles; they were seen as old-fashioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    And to be fair to his manager/producer, this was received wisdom at the time. Elvis, Buddy Holly and other 'rockers' were moving into ballads at the same time as Cliff. That was also why Decca turned down the Beatles; they were seen as old-fashioned.
    All very true.
    Strange, but true.
    Chris

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    There are a few decent tunes along the way, Devil Woman and Carrie immediately springing to mind, and The Cliff Richard Band were all top notch players and were all very highly regarded, both as individual musicians and as The Cliff Richard Band as a whole.

I think you're giving Cliff a hard time, and I don't understand why

Before you ask, I don't have any Cliff stuff in my collection, but I have always had a quiet regard for some of his music.
    I like to be fashionable!! In fairness, some of the music isn't too bad at all but I guess his image just overwhelms what talent he has/had. The real reason of course is that my brother in law likes Cliff and he.........might read this

There you go, these are they.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Geoff.

I never liked Cliff Richards. He made my skin crawl.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

George Harrison, Paul macca.....and ME!.....all went to same school! John was next door at the Art School.
    George had Sat job at my friend's Dads butchers -graffit-ed the loo door.
    He wishes he 'd kept that door now!
    Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I never liked Cliff Richards. He made my skin crawl.
    Who he?
    It's Cliff Richard.
    And the choice and spelling of the name was deliberate - everyone who announced that the next act was Cliff Richards was corrected, which meant he got his name mentioned twice in succession (well, almost).

As for making your skin crawl - there were plenty of folk on the TV in the 60s and 70s who had something about them that didn't sit right.
    Chris

I'm Shaun.

I have an original copy on vinyl of 'Rock N Roll Juvenile' by Cliff Richard and to be honest, I quite like it as well. It is a damn fine recording and good quality vinyl. His reference to Einstein being science fiction is slightly misguided though but then what do you expect for a member of the God squad...?

Box13 Guest

Default The most talented Beatle

When it comes to deciding who was the prime mover in the Beatles, I always refer to the body of work each created once they had split. It thus seems pretty obvious to me that Paul McCartney was the most talented by far.
    I would further add, that the second most talented was George Martin!
    Last edited by Box13; 04-07-2015 at 11:30. Reason: title

I'm Geoff.

Hmm. Quantity does not equate to quality. I wasn't keen on McCartneys stuff after the Beatles broke up. I loved Lennon's albums. Starr and Harrison did nothing that appealed to me.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast