+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Interesting take on Ringo Starr

I'm Geoff.

My gawd! How old are you?

I suppose she was a "hunny", if you like funny looking midgets with moustaches.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Box13 View Post
    The widely held belief is that Sergeant Pepper is the first Progressive Rock record ever made and the genre started with it.
    Nope that was Crimson's "Court Of.."
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    My gawd! How old are you?

I suppose she was a "hunny", if you like funny looking midgets with moustaches.
    hirsute ladies... think I was 7 or 8...
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

I'm Steve.

I kinda think that Pepper was the album that broke the mould for the recording industry.. George Martin was the catalyst perhaps but it was the Beatles that had the imagination and the desire to spend large amounts of Studio time ( = their cash) on putting their vision out there.... it's far to easy to forget jest what a omg moment that album was..

I'm Clive.

Yes Macca went on to long but Ram, Band On The Run and Venus and Mars are stunning. Lennon's POB is seminal and Imagine is pretty good. Those that "don't get" The Beatles are either too young or don't get history. Even Stones supporters who disliked The Beatles got the The Beatles.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre De Grenoble View Post
    Nope that was Crimson's "Court Of.."
    Saying that Sgt Pepper was the first ever Prog Rock album is like saying Led I gave way to ABBA. The very early Moody Blues albums featuring Justin Hayward were considerably more Prog Rock than was Sgt Pepper. Mix these in with the Nice and you have the making of the quintessentially excellent music that is Prog Rock. It's a real shame that headbangers never learnt from the much more educated rock that was Prog

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Saying that Sgt Pepper was the first ever Prog Rock album is like saying Led I gave way to ABBA. The very early Moody Blues albums featuring Justin Hayward were considerably more Prog Rock than was Sgt Pepper. Mix these in with the Nice and you have the making of the quintessentially excellent music that is Prog Rock. It's a real shame that headbangers never learnt from the much more educated rock that was Prog
    The Moody Blues should have packed it in after 'Go Now!'.

I'm Nodrog.

I still don't understand why people need all these labels to describe music. I have all the these PR bands just shoved in 'rock' with all the other stuff. There is a huge amount of crossover. Most of the Prog rockers merit one or two tracks in my collection but to concentrate on that one genre seems very limiting to me. I've heard it called pretentious quite often and although that is a bit unkind I suppose, I certainly found a lot of it that way at the time and still do. Tull I liked because they didn't take themselves so damned seriously as some. I like some of Yes's stuff but I'd rather not worship at their altar.

As in all things, there is good music to be found there as well as crap.

I'm Shaun.

Yes Gordon, I have avoided any mention of ELP because I always thought that their music epitomised the pompous nature of certain Prog Rock. I loved Brain Salad Surgery and still have a fully sealed vinyl version I bought in 2000 but I never fully caught the ELP thing. One other band I loved was Rush in their 2112 era. I also loved their 'Fly by Night' album as the music back then was sublime but my alltime favourites were early Genesis. In saying that though I think 'A Trick of the Tail' is one of their finest hours.

Back in that time period I also loved bands like Bad Company, Thin Lizzy and Golden Earing but my favourite was always going to be Prog Rock because it wasn't so musically simplistic. I am deeply saddened by the passing of Chris Squire as he was one of the driving forces behind this music type and I have seen him play live so many times but as with all things I guess, it has to come to an end and all we have are memories and recordings.

montesquieu Guest

Another take on the Ono retrospective ... I'm 100% with this view actually, Ono brought out the poseur in Lennon ... and not in a good way ....

http://www.capx.co/capx-reviews-yoko...-art-new-york/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112