+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does kit always sound its best just when you sell it?

I'm Paul.

Default Why does kit always sound its best just when you sell it?

I just waved goodbye to my IMFs and am now thinking how great they sounded during that final audition with the prospective purchaser.

I had a very similar experience when selling my Croft Twinstar and again with my Proacs.

Is it a universal truth that kit always peaks on its way out the door or is it just me?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    I just waved goodbye to my IMFs and am now thinking how great they sounded during that final audition with the prospective purchaser.

I had a very similar experience when selling my Croft Twinstar and again with my Proacs.

Is it a universal truth that kit always peaks on its way out the door or is it just me?
    It's just you!

Never mind. When your 'wardrobes' arrive it'll cheer you up.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

I've experienced this a few times. It could also mean a bit of regret!

S.
    Last edited by southall-1998; 03-07-2015 at 21:55.

I'm Paul.

Yes. There's definitely a touch of regret when kit that I've been pleased with is sold. I would love to be one of those lucky people with enough money and space to hold on to the good stuff and run a few systems concurrently. That way you have no seller's remorse.

I'm Geoff.

Don't worry Paul. Get the Tannoys set up right and you'll be delighted.

I'm not familiar with your amp and it may be just fine driving them, but you're not that far from a few members who have amps that are sympathetic to Tannoys. Perhaps you could get a listen to something interesting. A good match makes a huge difference.

Dunno if you're near Ali, but his Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro is a brilliant pairing with Tannoys. It's the same as I use. Super bit of kit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Don't worry Paul. Get the Tannoys set up right and you'll be delighted.

I'm not familiar with your amp and it may be just fine driving them, but you're not that far from a few members who have amps that are sympathetic to Tannoys. Perhaps you could get a listen to something interesting. A good match makes a huge difference.

Dunno if you're near Ali, but his Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro is a brilliant pairing with Tannoys. It's the same as I use. Super bit of kit.
    Thanks Geoff. I've no long term remorse about anything that I've sold but it would be so much better to be able to keep it all. I was just thinking how much I loved my JR149s and super woofer but space considerations in my new place condemned them to an early exit. Such is life. I did prefer the IMFs but it would have been great to have been able to enjoy both sets for longer.

The Kenwood 500 is a lovely amp and I doubt I will ever part with it. Even if it gets replaced I will find space under the bed for it. It's a true dual mono with a conservative 100 watts per channel so I'm sure it will control the big DCs fine and it has sounded good with a fair number of speakers that I have tried with it. No reason to think that it won't make the Tannoys sing. That said, I will have to try out a decent valve amp with them one day.

I'm Geoff.

We definitely differ there. I've used JR149s (without sub) and was not really impressed. They just sounded like a slightly less refined LS3/5a (which I'm not keen on either) to me.

As I say. I've not heard the Kenwood 500. Some Japanese amps can sound a bit ruthless with Tannoys, although the Denon PMA-350SE actually works rather well (and is bargain cheap).

I'm Craig.

It's the kits way of getting its own back for you selling it, that's all.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    We definitely differ there. I've used JR149s (without sub) and was not really impressed. They just sounded like a slightly less refined LS3/5a (which I'm not keen on either) to me.

As I say. I've not heard the Kenwood 500. Some Japanese amps can sound a bit ruthless with Tannoys, although the Denon PMA-350SE actually works rather well (and is bargain cheap).
    I had a pair of JR 149s and really liked them but the Harbeth P3 ERS's were in a completely different league IMO.

Would love to 'hear' what all the fuss is about with Tannoys though.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    Would love to 'hear' what all the fuss is about with Tannoys though.
    I don't know that there's a "fuss" about Tannoys Tony. It's just that there seem to be quite a few AOS members who like the better ones. Me included. Perhaps there's an AOS member near you with some who could let you have a listen. You can't just bung a pair on a system and expect miracles. The whole thing has to 'gel'. Get it right and it can be amazing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast