View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

1 4.55%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

1 4.55%
  • 5/10

1 4.55%
  • 6/10

2 9.09%
  • 7/10

5 22.73%
  • 8/10

4 18.18%
  • 9/10

0 0%
  • 10/10

8 36.36%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, July 2015: Tears for Fears - 'Sowing the Seeds of Love'.

I'm Barry.

Not listened yet but the title track is a fantastic song , one I never get tired of.

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    Not listened yet but the title track is a fantastic song , one I never get tired of.
    Indeed. When it came out, I recall it being labeled as a Beatles pastiche. Jonathan King, then writer for The Sun's Bizarre music page, wrote that it was a lame effort, and that it just copied The Beatles and was nothing new (something like that anyway). Then a week later, he wrote again saying he'd changed his mind and that it was fantastic.

I happen to think it's better than anything The Beatles have ever done. Controversial maybe, but for me it is. It's like an amalgam of Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane and All You Need Is Love.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Indeed. When it came out, I recall it being labeled as a Beatles pastiche. Jonathan King, then writer for The Sun's Bizarre music page, wrote that it was a lame effort, and that it just copied The Beatles and was nothing new (something like that anyway). Then a week later, he wrote again saying he'd changed his mind and that it was fantastic.

I happen to think it's better than anything The Beatles have ever done. Controversial maybe, but for me it is. It's like an amalgam of Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane and All You Need Is Love.
    So if The Beatles had never recorded those three songs do you think Sowing The Seeds Of Love would ever have been written and recorded?
    I think not.
    The "Seeds Of Love" album as a whole owes very little stylistically to The Beatles. It's an album I know and love.
    Sowing The Seeds Of Love has very obvious Beatles references, and it's a decent enough song in its own right. It wouldn't have been as good if it were not for the blatant use of some classic Beatles references.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    So if The Beatles had never recorded those three songs do you think Sowing The Seeds Of Love would ever have been written and recorded?
    I think not.
    The "Seeds Of Love" album as a whole owes very little stylistically to The Beatles. It's an album I know and love.
    Sowing The Seeds Of Love has very obvious Beatles references, and it's a decent enough song in its own right. It wouldn't have been as good if it were not for the blatant use of some classic Beatles references.
    No of course not, I agree totally, but that doesn't make it any less brilliant. The Beatles couldn't have made some of what they did without prior influences, 'Because' being one example.

There are plenty of bands that are derivative but that doesn't mean what they produce is inferior and, on occasion, even better that what influenced it.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Graham.

Difficult one this. I was wild about it when it was released, I played it constantly. Nowadays for me it's been superseded & doesn't hold up to bands like Talk Talk but still good for a 'nostalgia trip' evening. Gets a 7/10 from me
    Graham

I'm Pete.

I bought the CD yonks ago, but really only for Woman in Chains and the title track.. I'm sure the album was discussed elsewhere, so I decided to give the complete album an airing with Woman in Chains in particular sounding bloody marvellous on my system with the volume nice and loud... as a complete album, I was never a fan at the time, but in my opinion, its not really aged that much and production/sound wise it still sounds good... so 7/10 for me...
    CDP: Primare CD31 Amp: Audio Note Oto SE DAC: M2Tech Young & Van Der Graaf PSU Speakers: Tannoy Cheviots
    Streaming: bespoke Korus server with SOtM soundcard, AudioQuest Jitterbug & Furutech GT2 USB cable
    Speaker Cable: Tellurium Q Black - Interconnects: MS Audio/Klotz MC5000

Come Chill With Me...
    https://www.mixcloud.com/orbscure
    http://theorbscureddj.blogspot.co.uk
    + play + enjoy + float + dream +

I'm Sean.

It's pleasant enough, I quite like the title track and Oleta Adams has a great voice but it doesn't really grab me. I doubt I would rush to play it again so can only give it a 6. I don't know whether I should be voting as I was never in to them despite them being a local band - not that locality has a significant influence but I probably paid them a bit more attention than I might otherwise have done. That said I remember coming back from the bar with a round of drinks in Moles nightclub in Bath one night in the early 80's and friends asking what I had said to Roland or Curt (can't recall which) who apparently I was stood next to for ages and spotted talking to, I didn't even recognise him and think I had just been whinging about getting served.

I'm Richard.

Good choice - An album I remember enjoying when it came out and I still have a copy on vinyl but I'd not listened to it in years. This one was picked up at a car boot sale when I was back in Wales and used quite a lot for turntable demos as it's an excellent sounding recording, but the vinyl has certainly seen better days now. I'm not sure I'd ever played it all the way through though - One of those albums I never touched side 2 of, and having now listened to it all the way through it seems I've not missed much.
    Although I used to really enjoy the first 4 tracks, I don't think this album has aged particularly well - The earlier comments of over-production I agree with and they betray its age now whereas their older albums have stood the test of time much better and I still love The Hurting and play it occasionally.
    To me, Swords and Knives is the only track that really stands up now and the album seriously runs out of steam by the end. Music for Tables is a dreadful bit of cut and paste MIDI composing and the reprise of the title track lyrics over the breakbeat in the last track is like a particularly cheesy Neneh Cherry track and it's pretty painful to listen to.
    A slightly harsh 4/10 for me. I doubt I'll listen to this album again.
    Rich

I'm Martin.

I was never a great fan of 80's music. However after giving this a listen I quite enjoyed it. Thanks for suggesting for the album club. 7/10.

Box13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Album Club View Post
    The Album Club choice for July comes courtesy of Audio Al. This is another chance for you to enjoy some more of Oleta Adams. Please listen to the album in its entirety before you vote.
    To whom do I send my remittance for the album please?
    I do not own a copy but am quite willing to buy one so as to contribute.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast