+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Knopfler - Get Lucky.

I'm Confused.

Question Mark Knopfler - Get Lucky.

Good Morning Guys,
    Anybody else hear on Breakfast Time this morning an extract from the title track of Mark Knopfler's above refererenced new CD? It was not the normal sort of music/performer that I would choose to listen to but I thought the bit that I heard was brilliant and beautiful. I'm determined to hear more and, if the rest is anything like as good, I shall be investing .
    Anybody else formed any opinion?
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Dave - the album is available on Spotify if you want to check it out there for free first - I'll have a listen too, I've never really heard his solo stuff but loved Dire Straits back in the day...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Confused.

Thanks Alex, I'll take a listen tonight - hope you like it too.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Dan.

I really like the album 'Sailing To Philadelphia',I recommend that, but I've not heard the new one, will have to check it out

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Enjoying it now, as I type - definitely one I will come back to again, nice mix of styles and lyrics, the "highlight" for me is Remembrance Day - a very beautiful tune, and sobering lyrically (it is about what you would expect from the title) - I read on Amazon that this track will be a single with all the profits going to the British Legion - would be great if it is, though I can't substantiate it on either his or the British Legion website.

The opening track has some great flute - I was thinking the other day about how lovely the flute sounds (can't remember what album it was, probably Camel or something similar.) Maybe we need a thread "best track with flute in it!"?

Anyway thanks for posting Dave, I will now check out some of his earlier solo albums.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I've not heard it yet, but it's getting good reviews in the music mags. I might buy it myself, as you can also get it on heavyweight vinyl. I suspect that Diverse will have it in their stall at the forthcoming hi-fi show

Dave, if you like his latest album, you should also check out the last one 'Kill to Get Crimson", which I suspect is quite similar to his latest release.

The good thing about his stuff too is that it's always immaculately recorded

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi all,
    another unusual album from mr knopfler is the "RAG PICKERS DREAM" it too has some real thought provoking songs and lyrics, check it out!
    regards,anthony,TD...

I'm Confused.

Smile

Hi Guys,
    I suspect that I'm going to confuse one or two of you now, 'cos I'm a bit confused on more than one front. Thanks to Alex I listened to the whole CD last night on Spotify and wasn't nearly as impressed as I had been earlier by the exert played on morning TV and I don't know why - strange innit? Maybe it was the relative sameness of it all but that has never worried me before with something I liked, for instance Leonard Cohen's Live in London.
    Further confusion, I loved the sound that came out of the speakers, the lovely guitar chords(?), the way they decayed etc., absolutely beautiful, but no desire to listen again, that's what confuses me .
    Maybe it's as Marco says:
    The good thing about his stuff too is that it's always immaculately recorded.
    Maybe that's it, maybe it was just beautiful sounds but not exactly what I expected - I'm still bloody confused!!
    I share the sentiments of Alex - 'Remeberance Day' has great evocative lyrics and it would be great if the profits were donated to the British Legion. I'd actually buy the CD, despite my reservations, if some of the profits went that way also.
    If the are any psychologists out there that can explain my confusion I'd love to hear from you .
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:

I'm Jason.

Hmm, I kinda know where you're coming from Dave - I've got some MK stuff (Sailing to Philadelphia, Ragpicker's Dream and All The Road Running) and some of it is a bit vanilla!

'Sailing' is one of my faves, and I think it's the first he did in that style, with some of his subsequent material being not as strong, but in the same vein. I listened to 'Get Lucky' last night and whilst it was pleasant, and one or two tracks were very good, there was nothing particularly outstanding for me. But I'd happily listen again...

Try 'Sailing' and see if it's any different for you. I'd be interested to see.

For me, MK is on the borderline of those artistes who fall into the 'one is enough' camp. I may like them, enjoy listening to them, but one album is enough and I feel on listening to their subsequent (or prior) releases I have no desire to explore further, as their output is too similar. Coldplay are a bit like that for me, as are people like Jack Johnston and others of his ilk. But artistes like Mike Scott (Waterboys) and Jackie Leven I'll buy almost everything because to my ears it's constantly changing and challenging. Others, I guess, will have the opposite view. It's an interesting topic, though, IMHO.

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Rob.

Hi, I own most of Direstraits back catalogue on LP and like most of it alot (Dad Rock !), but I also own 'Kill To Get Crimson' and Shangri-La' solo albums on LP and they are both GREAT. I haven't heard his new one yet, must check it out but if his previous output is anything to go by then i'm sure it'll be decent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast