+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings from the US

I'm Doug.

Default Greetings from the US

Hello:

Ah, let's see. I'm Doug from California.

It could be a coincidence, but I'm the second lute player I know of to join the forums recently (though I'm very much a beginner). This is probably a coincidence, as it didn't come up at the last meeting of the Worldwide Lute Conspiracy. I play both kinds of lute music: Italian Renaissance and English Renaissance. I do have a background as a pop/blues-rock/folk guitarist; I played guitar for about 40 years before taking up the lute in my semi-retirement (which I often wish was more than _semi_).

I listen to all types of music, though. For a while I've been listening to mostly old Blue Note recordings on my morning commute and late 50s rockabilly on my evening commute. Yesterday morning I listened mostly to Robyn Hitchcock, Elvis Costello, and a Dutch psychedelic band called Sungrazer (now sadly defunct). I'm just as likely to listen to Squeeze or Gillian Welch as Palestrina or Josquin. Since I'm American, I think of my tastes as egalitarian rather than eclectic

My system just changed drastically from almost all tubes to a almost all solid state: my amp is a Luxman integrated, the speakers are Harbeth (C7ES3, I think) , a Squeezebox Touch connected to a music server, an EAR 834P phono stage, and the rest is Rega: Planet 2000 CD player, DAC, and P3/24 turntable with an Elys2 cartridge.

Apart from music, I'm very fond of food and travel, though sadly I indulge too much in the former and not enough in the latter.

It's nice to be here.

I'm Grant.

Welcome aboard Doug. Nice to have another American on the forum. Any pics of your system you can f you wish put into the gallery section as we like to see nice stuff.
    I like Gillian Welch myself, first seeing her in the Up on the mountain concert which is one of my favs. Love bluegrass etc and rockabilly to. In fact was listening to the late great John Hartford just the other day.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Welcome aboard Doug. Nice to have another American on the forum. Any pics of your system you can f you wish put into the gallery section as we like to see nice stuff.
    I like Gillian Welch myself, first seeing her in the Up on the mountain concert which is one of my favs. Love bluegrass etc and rockabilly to. In fact was listening to the late great John Hartford just the other day.
    Ah, yeah, John Hartford. Sadly obscure in many circles now. Now that you've mentioned him, I find that I have the chorus of "Turn Your Radio On" stuck in my head.

I will try to take some pictures of my system -- though it's gotten smaller, it still takes the same amount of rack space, so it'll be more than one picture

Thanks for the welcome. These forums seem like a pretty civil place and I hope I'll be able to make a contribution.

Best,

Doug

I'm Geoff.

Hello Doug. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds like a nicely chosen selection of equipment you have. You'll find plenty to interest you here.

If you'd like to post some system photos in our Gallery, they'd be appreciated.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Doug.

Thanks much, Geoff. I am trying to take decent pictures, but I'm a little short in the skill department. But what the heck - I'll do my best.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Doug,

There are a few of us here who would be happy to talk about food and travel (as well as music), so feel free to post as neccessary.

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Geoffrey.

Hello and welcome Doug.

Geoff.

I'm Josie.

Welcome, Doug...

Hope we can see some pics of your system soon in The Gallery - I've heard of Sungrazer too, great bit of dutch psych.

Enjoy!
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread