+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi From Deepest Ayrshire

I'm Chris.

Default Hi From Deepest Ayrshire

Hi Everyone – Joined a while back but have been very much in the background reading items of interest and thought I had better have a go at introducing myself.
    First bit of ‘hi-fi’ which is a pretty loose description, was a Garrard autochanger supplied with a pair of ply speakers. Spent many a long hour listening to glam rock, Genesis, Queen, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy etc on this. Guess I was dissatisfied with the sound even at this early stage in my music/musical gear interest as I got rid of the supplied speakers and replaced them with a half decent Sony pair I saw in the window of RT Evans in Irvine (long gone now). Removed all the autochanger mechanism as well and can remember at the time feeling I had made a big improvement in the sound. A house move and a lot of odd job money saved up led to the purchase of a Technics SLB2 record deck, an Aiwa amp and an Aiwa cassette deck and retained the faithful Sony speakers. Lived with this system through the NWOBHM spending all my spare cash on LP’s – great days these in the late 70’s/early 80’s. Saving up grant money and still doing odd jobs gave me enough cash to buy the standard 80’s budget system of a Rotel RP630 record deck and RP820 amp with a pair of Wharfedale 506 speakers and added a Rotel rotary tuner to listen to the Radio Clyde live concert broadcasts - pics below.

This system was used through my student years with only a few cartridge changes – Audio Technica AT110E to an A&R P77 then on to an AT ATF3, with a Phillips 16 bit CD player was added once I started to work full time. Once I was earning a decent amount of money I replaced the Rotel with a Pink Triangle LPT fitted with a Roksan Tabrizi arm, a Musical Fidelity B1, a Rotel digital tuner and a pair of Cyrus speakers. This lasted a few years before the ATF3 was replaced with an ATF5 and an Audiolab 8000A replaced the MF. An Audiolab 8000 power amp was then added to try and open out the sound a bit more and the Phillips CD was replaced by a Marantz CD63SE running through a Cambridge DAC. This was a fine sounding system, however a house move and change of décor had she who must be obeyed insist that the black hi-fi had to go as it didn’t fit with the new surroundings. With a heavy heart I sold off the Audiolab gear and boxed up all but the PT LPT into the loft. I managed to convince her that the Cyrus range would fit nicely into the new surroundings so put together a system with a CD8, a pre amp, a pair of Smart powers driving B&W CM1 speakers and a Cambridge phono stage. Added a streamate, a pxr power supply, a Project phono stage and headphone amp. Final addition was a Heed power supply for the LPT. I have a PT Export that I am currently working on fitted with another Roksan Tabrizi arm and an AT AT33 Cartridge – hopefully have this ready by the end of the summer.

I'm Grant.

Nice into Chris. Welcome, if a belated one to AoS. Hope it doesn't take another year for your next post We are quite friendly here so dont be shy

nice cyrus stuff there
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Hi Chris. welcome to AOS.

Neat system you have. I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here.

Tell us what music you listen to and what plans if any you have for your system.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm martin.

Howdy and welcome fae Fife.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm Josie.

Welcome to AOS, Chris...

Love that wall... lol, a Maiden fan ey!... nice one.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Sandy.

Greetings! I have exactly the same Pioneer tuner!
    Fond memories of eating many a pie at Killie's lovely wee ground...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Great introduction Chris - worth waiting for!

A belated welcome to the Forum!

Regards
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Geoffrey.

Hello and welcome Chris.

Geoff.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstysdad View Post
    Greetings! I have exactly the same Pioneer tuner!
    Fond memories of eating many a pie at Killie's lovely wee ground...
    Good spot - believe I called it a Rotel in the intro. The shop had sold out of the Rotel and I bought the Pioneer instead as I didn't want to leave empty handed. Sold off long ago unfortunately. Say aye to a Killie pie - as the advertising goes. Still pretty good pies - My house is only five minutes from Rugby Park.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Welcome to AOS, Chris...

Love that wall... lol, a Maiden fan ey!... nice one.
    Big Maiden fan among many other rock and metal bands. The entire room was covered with picture discs from floor to ceiling. That particular picture is from my room at my mums house in the mid 80's. Probably added 100+ maiden pic discs since then - and lost count of the rest.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast