+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogers A100 volume control issues

I'm bob.

Default Rogers A100 volume control issues

Hi -

I was round at a friend's house today and he was playing me some music through his old ROGERS A100 amplifier that sounded pretty good, apart from whenever you moved the volume control there was a bad interference/hissing kind of noise. This settles when the volume is left alone and the amp plays fine.

He was worrying that he needed to get a new amp or that getting it fixed was going to const him an arm and a leg, and I said I would ask the wisdom of the forum what it thought. I am guessing this is a fairly simple/cheap issue that could maybe even be very quickly DIYed? Also maybe the thing just plain needs a service after 30+ years? I thought I should ask on here before taking his amp apart and accidentally rendering it totally broken.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert

Please excuse the nasty photo

I'm mick.

A quick squirt of Servisol switch cleaner/ lubricant onto the control [ may be lucky and can take the
    knob off and squirt the base of the shaft without taking the lid off]This will hopefully cure it ,but if it comes back then a new vol pot is needed.WD40 will also work but is not strictly ideal. Mick
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm Pete.

its dirt or corrosion on the tracks ....should be easy to sort as previous post states if not its prob only a few pounds for a drop in replacement or tens of pounds for a better one

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by zanash View Post
    its dirt or corrosion on the tracks ....should be easy to sort as previous post states if not its prob only a few pounds for a drop in replacement or tens of pounds for a better one
    Thanks guys I'll give it a shot with some servisol/wd40 next time I see him, and if that doesn't work I'll come back and ask where I can get him a new volume pot.

R

I'm bob.

A tiny squirt of WD-40 and some frantic twiddling with the machine pointing up in the air and the volume is now back to being smooth as silk, and my friend thinks I am a hi-fi geniousse!

Thanks both.

Good job though as it looks like a real PITA to open up.

There is a very low frequency humming now when vol turned up high on the TT channel - I am guessing this is something to do with mains cables? He is running an entry level Pro-ject and I am pretty sure that it isn't a grounding type crackle. I have told him to experiment with moving his TT cables away from other ones sprouting behind the back of his system.

R

+ Reply to Thread