+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice re staining a Linn LP12 black ash plinth

I'm Deleted.

Default Advice re staining a Linn LP12 black ash plinth

Peter Swain of the shop Cymbiosis has also written an extensive guide to setting up the LP12 - it's pretty easy to find on the Linn forum. This isn't meant as a criticism of the RA one as I haven't read it - it's probably good too (but I do know Peter does it all very similar to how I would).
    Account Deleted

I'm Stuart.

Thanks Mark,
    I'll have a look at that one too!
    I have to admit that I was a bit frightened to touch the thing initially as it seems such a black art to set the Linn up, but having had a play with it, it's not that mystical!
    You can never have too much information in my opinion!
    Many thanks for the input,
    Stu

I'm Deleted.

Default Advice re staining a Linn LP12 black ash plinth

It's only a black art in that many fail to appreciate the balance of compromises and cut corners - the mystique is that people don't bother to understand why things are done in the manner they are. It's all simple engineering sense and equally applicable to most suspended decks.

P.S. You are most welcome - enjoy .
    Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

Never had any problems refinishing plinths or anything else. It's just largely confidence and common sense!

(mind you. If you're no good at practical stuff, you'll never be any better at it unless you have a bash)

Oh. And setting up suspended TTs is just patience and again, common sense, there's no 'black art' involved.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Never had any problems refinishing plinths or anything else. It's just largely confidence and common sense!

(mind you. If you're no good at practical stuff, you'll never be any better at it unless you have a bash)

Oh. And setting up suspended TTs is just patience and again, common sense, there's no 'black art' involved.
    as the actress said to the Bishop
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

I've a funny feeling that might be the plinth from my old LP12, which did end up near Manchester. The little nick in the left hand corner looks familiar. Is the SN late 80,000s?

I'm Stuart.

Hi Andrew,
    The plinth serial starts with 85 I think...I've got masking tape over the plate at the moment waiting for a day off when it isn't raining!
    I got it from a really nice guy called Paul, from Chorlton.
    I just need to give it a final coat of satin black spray.
    I've managed to pick up a nice Ittok LVII and arm board, to compliment the deck and have an Asaka lying around.
    I'll put a couple of pics up when I get the plinth done, then once I get round to transferring everything into the freshly painted plinth.
    I reckon the Ittok will be a big leap up from the Basik currently fitted.
    Cheers, Stu

I'm Stuart.

Well I managed to get in the garden today and get a couple of final coats of satin black on the plinth, so I think I'm happy with the finish, as I've just given it a couple goes over with an antique finishing wax!
    I reckon I've done a reasonable job of turning a sows ear into a nice silk purse!
    It's not perfect, but I think it passes muster!
    I wasn't able to get photos, as the light was fading, but I promise I'll get some up ASAP!
    The only problem is, I've been playing my Thorens TD 165 with a newish A & R Cambridge P77 cartridge and I think it sounds better than the LP12!
    I did put new oil in the 165 and change the belt and check the alignment, which was a little off, but I can't believe how good the 165 sounds!
    I think it must be a synergy thing, coz it's only running through a moth phono stage into a Linn classik, but it sounds fabulous!
    Much better than the LP12 in fact! Maybe I haven't got it set up quite right!
    I'll get some photos of the LP 12 plinth and the little Thorens 165 as soon as the sun comes out!
    I'm now worried that fitting the new Ittok isn't going to give the sound I want!
    Stupid bloody hobby!
    Cheers, Stu

I'm Grant.

Nice one Stu. Knowing the British weather it may be some time .....up here it would be next year worst summer I can remember temp wise, and lack of sunshine
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Stuart.

Hey Grant,
    It's not quite so bad here! But I do seem to get worse weather than most places in Manchester, which is already a wet city!
    I know my thread has dragged on a bit, but work and weather have been against me!
    Problem is, now my TD165 sounds so good, why am I chasing the LP12 sound!
    I'm not really sure I've had the LP12 set up quite right yet!
    I'll get it in the new plinth and see how I go!
    However the TD165 does sound awesome at the moment!
    The 165 is still set up as from the dealer and it does show how good it was set up! (Bounces very pistonic)
    I've just tweaked the cart alignment very slightly and it sounds superb!
    Pictures to follow!
    Stu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast