+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Thank you Art of Sound

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Box13 View Post
    Why is that then?
    Because it's subtle. I don't like rows of shiny silver stuff staring me in the face. Fortunately the equipment I like seems to come in black anyway. Speakers apart.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up Keep it black and as 'functional' looking as possible!

I'm the exact same: hi-fi equipment should be heard and not 'seen', as it's merely a tool for reproducing music, not an object to be admired!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'm the exact same: hi-fi equipment should be heard and not 'seen', as it's merely a tool for reproducing music, not an object to be admired!

Marco.
    So why the desire for distracting VU meters?

PS I prefer black cosmetics (or 'snot' green! )
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    So why the desire for distracting VU meters?
    'Cos it's retro-tastic, dude! That's a different ball game altogether. Not that I have any on my current equipment...

However, that's why I like rather 'sober' looking broadcast equipment. It looks purposeful: like it 'means business', instead of prettifying things to pacify the ponces!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Box13 Guest

Default Better Build Quality

I've just noticed that the aluminium fronted equipment is usually better build quality.
    A more substantial box and rear, even though the front is what you see.
    I just don't think you can beat a good quarter inch of solid alloy.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I've just noticed that the aluminium fronted equipment is usually better build quality.
    "You shouldn't judge a book by its cover".
    Barry

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Sorry but I don't agree... my Audo Note amp has a subtle acrylic type black facia and I think it looks nice and understated, just how I like my equipment to look to be honest...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Box13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Sorry but I don't agree... my Audo Note amp has a subtle acrylic type black facia and I think it looks nice and understated, just how I like my equipment to look to be honest...
    Nina, I meant the build quality, not the appearence, I find silver is usually a more substantial support for the components.

Box13 Guest

Default Teac A5000

Now having said all that I have just bought the above.
    It came today and the bottom line is; is it worth my £23:00?
    I think it is.
    It is now taking the signal from my Denon510 and into my Hitachi 3's.
    Interconnects are the Van Damme grey 0.5m and the 79 strand oxy-free copper speaker cable.
    The sound is articulate and dynamic and my next acquisition is to be a DAB tuner.

Box13 Guest

Default An additional source/reproducer.

Now having said all that I have just bought the above.
    It came today and the bottom line is; is it worth my £23:00?
    I think it is.
    It is now taking the signal from my Denon510 and into my Hitachi 3's.
    Interconnects are the Van Damme grey 0.5m and the 79 strand oxy-free copper speaker cable.
    The sound is articulate and dynamic and my next acquisition is to be a DAB tuner.
    Hooked my good old tape deck into the 'system' and it's standing up rather well

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast