+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS/... IMF Super Compact Speakers (restored)

I'm Grant.

Default FS/... IMF Super Compact Speakers (restored)

My lovely IMF's are up for grabs. Cabinets, xovers and main drivers(Kef B200) have been restored/ replaced. Elcap caps in xovers, and 2 kef main drivers. Look and sound great, and only for sale as I have too many speakers tbh so some will have to go. They are REDUCED to £180 including delivery ..I have new carboard so will custom make boxes if needed so they are safe.
    These don't come up very often ......

From the website......

With the Super-Compact, enclosure size is sufficient to accommodate the use of a bass unit with a free air resonance around 25Hz. The drawing illustrates the resistive loading conditions which, whilst not impairing the exceptional bass response, damps the system against 'cone weave' from unwanted subsonic signals The mid-range is isolated in its own short transmission line and this unit along with the tweeter is similar to those we used in our Studio TLS 50 and ALS 40 loudspeakers.

The decision was also made to adopt the same complex and expensive crossover and mirror image configuration as in these larger models. This results in two important advantages. The in-line crossover network has been developed as a no compromise optimum filter for the drive units employed and as such, provides the minimum of colouration and thus the maximum sense of acoustic transparency. Secondly, it ensures that the phase and dispersion characteristics of the SuperCompact are substantially identical to those of the TLS 50 and ALS 40. Thus all three models are compatable for four-channel applications. Research demonstrates that dissimilar loudspeakers cannot be used for four channels any more than unmatched speakers are acceptable for stereo. Even choosing all loudspeakers from the same manufacturer is no guarantee of compatibility unless the speakers have the same phase relationship throughout the range and a substantially similar integrated performance. With an eye to the future, IMF in their Super-Compact have ensured this compatibility and anticipate that many of these speakers will compliment IMF Studio or ALS 40 loudspeakers for rear channel information. Meanwhile the prospective customer can purchase now without .fear of pending obsolescence.

We have said very little about the sound of Compacts, which in a way is a good thing for both have little of the obvious 'hi-fi' qualities about them. Low frequencies are remarkably extended for their enclosures sizes, but are smooth and free from the exaggerations of 'one note bass'. The middle and top has a sense of 'sheen' and continuity - rather than the sound of multiple speakers working in a box. Although of moderate efficiency, such is the freedom from distortion and colouration, that listening at low levels as well as high, gives a sense of balance that reveals all that is worthwhile over a wide variety of programme sources. The speakers are worthy of the best amplifiers and indeed the finest ancilliary equipment. We invite you to audition the IMF Compact II and SuperCompact loudspeakers against others beyond their size category.

NOMINAL SPECIFICATIONS

SUPER-COMPACT

Dimensions
    18" x 11" x 11 3/4" wide; 46 cm x 28 cm x 30 cm

Frequency Range
    30 Hz 20 kHz
    Last edited by struth; 09-09-2015 at 16:37.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Not many of these about. Certainly not in that condition. They have the more desirable EMI midrange unit too, with the non perishing surrounds. Nice!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

some closeups of the drivers

Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

These are flippin good. I used to have a pair. These should fly out of your door.
    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    My lovely IMF's are up for grabs. Cabinets, xovers and drivers have been restored/ replaced. Elcap caps in xovers, and 2 kef main drivers. Look and sound great, and only for sale as I have too many speakers tbh so some will have to go. They are on sale here first at £200 plus P&P if needed at cost ..I have new carboard so will custom make boxes if needed so they are safe.
    These don't come up very often ......

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I've still got to rebuild the refoamed drivers back into the Compact mk1's next time I visit Hifi Dave, who's storing them for me. I'm hoping they'll sound ok, cone tweeter and all...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm nigel.

I had a pair of these a while back but in much poorer condition.
    used the b200s as replacements in a pair of celef (remember them?) domestics then junked the cabs.....didn't realise at the time how desirable they are!!!

good luck.

NIGE.

I'm Grant.

Really nice speakers, yes, thanks Steve & Nigel. I have made a base box for them so they can now be couriered safely in one package which should save on postage;

As said they don't appear like this often, and at this price, so if you fancy some classic speakers then don't hesitate too long
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

quick bump for these crackers....
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

bump up. these are advertised elsewhere too now.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

bump....interest elsewhere
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast