+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much Would You Pay...???

I'm Shaun.

Default How Much Would You Pay...???

OK so this is pure fantasy but, how much would you pay...???

If you were in the market for a new vinyl playing turntable just how much do you think is sensible for such a device...?? As well as that, what would your new turntable be...?? I'm not asking to get the response I expect; the most expensive of its kind, I'm just asking to get a sensible feel for what everyday people would spend on a turntable/arm/cartridge. One other thing, it has to be brand new...!!!

I know what I am expecting as a response, I'd just like to see how many people agree with me...!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

As much as I could afford
    £1500-2000 would probably be what I would spend - I would find it hard to justify much more - but in reality I will be building around my Garrard 401 - which will hopefully beat anything in that price range!

But 3 "Best Buys" in this month's Hi Fi Choice... always loved the look of Michells - Gyro SE with RB250 £1565, Funk V2 £1390 or Townshend Rock 7 £1720 - any of those look ok on paper.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Shane.

Having just spent a total of about £250 mounting the motor of an ancient Dual 701 DD on a lump of slate with a Formula IV, I reckon I'd have to pay several grand to make a significant improvement, which would then be out of all proportion to the rest of the system. So what would I spend on a new one? Well, I wouldn't....

I'm Guy.

That Papst motor was very good. (Goldmund also used to use it in their 'Studio' model.) Did you stick with the original platter & psu? Any pics of the project?

I'm Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    As much as I could afford
    £1500-2000 would probably be what I would spend - I would find it hard to justify much more - but in reality I will be building around my Garrard 401 - which will hopefully beat anything in that price range!

But 3 "Best Buys" in this month's Hi Fi Choice... always loved the look of Michells - Gyro SE with RB250 £1565, Funk V2 £1390 or Townshend Rock 7 £1720 - any of those look ok on paper.
    £1.5-£2k would get you a very nicely modded Technics and while I've not heard either the Funk or Rock I've yet to hear any Michell that floats my boat. The Garrard is more like a D/D with a solid punchy rythmic type of sound but I would think that it would take at least that sort of money to really do a 401 justice.

Regards

I'm David.

i think that if i was in the market for a new turntable, that i wasnt wanting to spend any money doing up, i would set my self a budgt of £1500
    this is based on a rough total of what i will have spent on my tt in parts - techie £125, psu £300, mat 90 arm + mount £450, cart £400
    i have felt it easy to justify this expense!

i dont think i could justify much more than £2k
    the hifi chice review was enlightening but it seemed that nothing really ticked all the boxes

would you considor spending £2k on a deck? if so you could buy a 1210 of dave with a good few very reasonable upgrades and it would turn up to you and not need any work on it what so ever! that is what i would do if i was in your shoes - but that is only based on my limited experience!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Adam.

Assuming the OP means NEW, then I would need to set aside around £2k for the turntable that would be my choice.

I'm David.

(of course you could put the turntable idea to one side and buy your self a nikon d700 )
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm InSpace.

If money were 'no object'... I'd have a damn good look at one of these with all the toys.

http://www.vpiindustries.com/table_hrx.htm

Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Being moderately sensible, my turntable of choice these days would be a Notts Analogue Dias with either their 12" arm, a 12" Jelco or a 12" AO PU7 (I rather like the latter idea as I loved the PU3 upon which it's based). This deck sounds closer to what's "really" there than any I've heard in years and makes an SME 10 (slightly cheaper I think) look like a child's toy, certainly an over-priced one. The Dias isn't as fussy on siting as many others are, "you lot" always ignore the maker and that gives greater credence to my current choice
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast