+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cartridge upgrades

That is exactly what I wanted to learn- so many thanks to all those experts.

The reason I put it to the forum is that my Dynavector XX-1 will need to be replaced in a few months- I am anticipating.

The choices facing me are:
    1. Re-tip the Koetsu Black K- but it may cost me more as the cantilever is borken.
    2. Go for the choices made clear by Marco.

I took an instant dislike to OC-9- too bright, too lush for my liking. Now looking back I was only using the Hi-Fi news step-up transformer then with EAR 802/509. I wonder if with the loading controls I have on my Plinius Phono-Preamp, all these criticisms will seem misplaced.

Then how will you narrow the choice between an OC-9; AT-33 or Denon-103SA? is the next question.

I have never been for forking out mega bucks for cartridges.
    Varun

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Varun,

In order to answer your query properly I need the following relevant information:

1) What is it you like about the presentation of your Dynavector - ditto your Koetsu?

2) Is this what you're looking for in any replacement cartridge, or if not what?

3) Please list your full system and available budget for cartridge replacement.

I will then digest the information carefully and come up with the best solution I can think of

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'd either get the XX1 re-tipped as you seem to like it (I remember liking it a lot at the time), or look at a AT33PTG, as it has a bit more "solidity" than a vanilla OC9ML.

However, the AT's do have a neutral to bright presentation - great for Decca-heads like me, but not fancied by the romatics who like full-on bloat Koetsu red (and above) presentation - the Black was rather nore "correct" if mine is anything to go by (it's lost a channel and I haven't the funds to send it to EsCo for checking).

I only know the DL103C and 103D (owned the latter with a Mission 774 arm many centuries ago it seems). The sound was rather "dry" but I suspect this was the arm rather than the cartridge. The concensus was that the 103C was almost as good for a heck of a lot less money and Marco and others have found that a different body on the 103 transforms it further, so I cannot comment further. I do like the idea of buying a 103 for £100 or so (cheaper than a DL110 now I think) and doing some careful DIY on it.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Smile

If it helps, any thing ' click here ' 10% off and free postage, or more on expensive ones to AOS members.

Dave

Many thanks Marco, Dave DSJR and Dave C,

Dynavector is high output.

I always liked the Dynavector but Koetsu after re-tipping by Stylys expert had lost its dark bloat and fullness which I do not like. In many ways they became similar-but Koetsu more weight perhaps- if I remember. The VPI manufacturer prefers Dynavector.

So it has to be clean and neutral- that is no enhancements- no artificial boosts in any frequency range. Transparency is what is required but at the same time it has to have the weight and presence which large orchestral works require. Above all tonal purity and neatness and detail- strings- sopranos and so on.

Marco- I do not wish to change the sound as it is- either Koetsu or Dynavector re-tipped will do. It will be too much of a risk- because if I do not like-then bad bad.. also I can not fit cartrides etc. The dealer who is no longer active had ordered a transfiguration Spirit for £600 about 3 years ago. Some how he could not get the time to comes and install it. Out of frustration, I ended up having the Dynavector re-tipped and a friend installed it for me.

I can for instance - if I feel courageous which I do not-trade in the XX-1 for the new XX-2 which sells close to 1K, so I will get it for around £800. I am not thinking of forking out that much hence the query about the much talked on this forum- 103s and 09s.
    Varun

My System Marco is on my gallery but for this discussion

TT:-VPI-TNT Hotrod V with 12" arm.
    Plinius M14 Phono pre-amplifier
    Plinius CDLAD line level pre-amp
    Plinius SA250 Class A power amp (250W/ch).

All interconnects are Siltech Silver as per Plinius recommendation.

Speakers- B&W 803,

Latest addition. Silver-copper speaker cable imported from Sharkwire-Taiwan. I needed a longer length- so far it has sounded excellent and better and improving. Great saving for me.
    Varun

I'm Dave.

DSJR - Was it a Talisman ? We used to have a demo one fitted to an Oracle Alexandria. It was OK but not special.

One reason some of the very expensive cartridges are so is that they are hand made and usually just one person has the knowledge and skill. This person can only make so many and I know from talking with Lyra, that Mishima can only produce a couple of carts a day and so they are priced accordingly. When it comes to the Titan, the parts are limited by rarity value and each one is made by Mishima and has a long run, test and calibration time. Mishima is now an old man and when he has an off day there are no cartridges produced.

However, I have difficulty justifying how one hand made cartridge in a range can be worth double that of another. The parts can't be that expensive, surely ?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Dave W, it was originally rep'd by the former Quad rep - CLEARAUDIO - that's it......

Couple of carts a day, that's £100 each one then! Where does the other £1K plus come in?

I suppose I've answered my sarcastic paragraph above - £150 to make, many people in the food chain, so it has to sell for £1,500 plus so everyone gets their cut.

I have to admit that the standard DL103 seems amazing value as cheaper mm's twenty three years ago now cost double if you can still get them - ADC XLM III, Ortofon's updated mm's, the better ones over £200, the AT440MLa is more costly now..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

What about expensive watches ? Every week in the Mail on Sunday supplement, they feature toys for the boys with a few watches. Some of these cost tens of thousands for something which ( to me ) look like any old chunky watch. They don't do anything special and aren't jewel encrusted so how come they cost many thousands of Pounds ?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    What about expensive watches ? Every week in the Mail on Sunday supplement, they feature toys for the boys with a few watches. Some of these cost tens of thousands for something which ( to me ) look like any old chunky watch. They don't do anything special and aren't jewel encrusted so how come they cost many thousands of Pounds ?
    Same as in Hi-Fi - or Fashion - or cars - pretty much anything - "Badge Snobbery" as often referred to and (rightly) derided on this very forum! ...and marketing/advertising - those MoS pages cost plenty, which the purchaser pays for!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast